Misc: Everything Else 'Orrible 'Andlin Comet

Howard

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've got a Comet (just put together from various sources :confused:) with a weave and a tendency to fall into right handers. I'm just going through the usual suspects wheel/head bearings, bent frame, wheel alignment etc.

Any offers for extra checks?

H

Chris Launders

VOC Member
If you know someone with another compare the height of the RFM pivot when it's on its wheels, it could have any sort of springs in the boxes, my twin had sidecar springs and the fittings wound out as far as possible, with the decreased rake it dropped into corners.
Also, do you have the fork eccentrics in the solo position and the rear wheel lined up accurately?
A weave is usually too tight a steering damper or bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Chris.
I have a great handling Comet of my own and I've been comparing measurements, but I haven't looked at that, it makes a lot of sense, especially as the fork springs seem a bit light.
Fork eccentrics are right, I learned that in the 80s the hard way.
Steering damper was slackened during the test ride (when stopped - I was too scared to take a hand off the bars),
I've jacked up the front wheel and the head bearings seem spot on, but there's more play than I want in the wheel bearings.
Thanks
Howard

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Have you got an Hydraulic Steering Damper ?, Maybe too hard a setting ?.

We built a Twin and we found the standard Felt for the lower head bearings is much too thick,
Gave me a stiff steering on road test, And Weave !!, I thought I was going to have a Slapper , GULP ,
I talked Ron into giving it an Hydraulic Steering Damper,
And the 2 together was "NOT NICE" !,
And when getting back I heard a clonk from the front head races,
As the felt squashed a bit , It showed up as loose head bearings,
It's hard to feel the settings with that big thick felt thing,
For some time I have been cutting the felt in half, But I had not told Ron that.

Howard

VOC Member
Thanks Bill,
I found it was too thick too and reused an old squashed one, so hopefully not that.
No hydraulic damper, I'll suggest one to the owner.
H

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Jack up the front of the bike , And see if the forks tend to swing more one way than another ,
Cables etc pulling one way ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I had a funny one a few years ago :) ,
Went out for a ride on my Old Comet, Which has always been nice, Now it has an Hydraulic Thingy on !!,
There was a short time it went bad on me !,
Anyway I was going through the bends and thought, What a Super little Bike , Really Nice,
When I got home , I remembered I had changed frames ,
To make things legal because of my age,
So it was a Different Bike ! :).
Have FUN Howard.

Gary Gittleson

VOC Member
No, they're very free, but they don't fall to either side.

If the head bearings are just a bit too tight, the bike will weave and wonder at low speeds. They should fall freely to either side. They should be adjusted just short of the point where they won't fall freely.

Andy H

Forum User
VOC Member
I've got a Comet (just put together from various sources :confused:) with a weave and a tendency to fall into right handers. I'm just going through the usual suspects wheel/head bearings, bent frame, wheel alignment etc.

Any offers for extra checks?

H
What tyres and pressures have you got. Often the culprit. Are they balanced?