E: Engine magneto bearings

tatty500

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Eric
If your mag has the smaller drive end bearing (15x35x8) then you are lucky perhaps, as there is a larger OD bearing 15x37x8, N3048. But I can't see one to replace the bigger 18x40x9 that was a later fitment.
Tatty

nkt267

VOC Member
Tatty500.. that's what I did..I made a carrier to mount the mag on and bored the bearing housing to suit the larger bearing..John

erik

VOC Member
unluckieliy there is the bigger bearing.but i think that my fried,he has a whole machine park can mill the housing and fit in a spacer.may be Aluminium alloy is best because the housing is the same.i have a twin housing which could be converted to a single mag.may be this is an other way to go.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
If it is a KVF housing don't alter it. They are getting hard to find.If it is a Triumph/BSA OR Norton you may have to remove one safety gap screw, and drill new holes for the pick-up bolt threads, I'm not sure. I am no great machinist, but I reckon you'll do a better job in brass. I'm fairly sure you can get the paper cups in two thicknesses if you want to sneak up carefully on the finished diameter of your insert.

erik

VOC Member
it is a Triumph magneto.there is no Need to alter the Position of the pick up ,because the contakt ring is all round and it doesn`t matter in which sosition the pick up sits.you Need the single cam and the single high Tension ring.thats all.

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
Paper washers are available in .010" and .013" thicknesses. I would make your holder a press fit on whatever o.d. your bearing plus the paper washers are and the a light interference fit, say dead size with Loctite or 0005" at most into the magneto body. I reckon you'll do a better job with brass.Remember that heating the magneto body will impair the magnetism. What do the real engineers out there think?