Lucas Mag' Earth Brush Holder Thread

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
... The slope on a Lucas magneto's cam near the point... I mean, location where the points open is 0.0017 inches/degree. If you have your gap set, say, 0.0034" too large, they will open 2 degrees magneto -- 1 degree engine -- later than you intended.
Doesn't 2 degrees magneto = 4 degrees engine?

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
See post #22
Must say I've got confused with this thread. When I put up my post #32, post # 22 and many others weren't there, but now they are. But also, some posts that were there before, aren't now. E.g. post #20 contains a quote, but the post that's being quoted has disappeared. What's going on?

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Dear Moderator, if you are going to delete this post, please also delete Magnetoman's post #20. Thanks, Ken.
... As for a "dust up," the other guy sells a replacement condenser that I don't recommend for technical reasons I went into in some detail and he doesn't like the fact I don't recommend it.
So, you are now a mind reader, are you, Magnetoman? Perhaps "the other guy" (me) couldn't care less whether or not you recommend the replacement condenser. My gripe is with your repeated assertions on the Britbike forum that I am untrustworthy, and your repeated references on this forum and others to what you said on the Britbike forum.

Ken Targett

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
While you've still got what you posted on the Britbikes forum, and while you're still sending people to look at it, I don't think so.

Magnetoman

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
While you've still got what you posted on the Britbikes forum, and while you're still sending people to look at it, I don't think so.
I just searched my entire magneto restoration thread for the name of your company and capacitor and only found one place where I mentioned it, and that was in direct response to a post from you saying I had been saying bad things about your capacitor:

from http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=457560#Post457560
I searched the archives and can't find that I've ever made a single negative comment about your EasyCap. The sidebar about capacitors in my previous post is the first time I've said anything about your capacitors, and even then not by name. Unless I've missed something, if you say people are having a "tedious go" about the product you are selling, it means people in addition to me have issues with these capacitors.

Only if someone understands electronics very well could they connect two sentences in that sidebar to your company:

from http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=455839#Post455839
Currently another supplier is advertising replacement condensers that are of a type not rated for pulsed high current applications, and whose dielectric layers are made of a porous oxide. Even if they survive the current pulses of a stressed magneto, no extended environmental testing has been done of them, so there is no way to even guess how long they might last in the ozone-rich atmosphere near the points before delamination or breakdown of the oxide might set in.

As you well know, thus far no one has provided any technical information whatever to contradict what I wrote. I am doing my best to provide unbiased accurate technical information about magnetos that is directly relevant to owners of old motorcycles. Although I try to be completely accurate, I certainly can make mistakes. However, whenever mistakes have been pointed out, as they were earlier in this thread about the 2/4 degrees, I immediately correct them.

I've done my best to be thorough and accurate on my Britbike magneto restoration thread, but people will have to judge for themselves my level of expertise with magnetos and whether or not to follow recommendations I give.

Kansas Bad Man

Non-VOC Member
I hope not as well. However, alpha or not, if you have technical reasons you believe what I wrote is incorrect they require more than a one-word response. Otherwise nothing is learned.

OK I will try to splane why I think as I do. My liner has a fixed ignition, no auto advance. The ignition is total lose battery, no generator. The ignition is pointless H.D..set at exact 50 degrees. there are 4 1/and 1/2 ohm DYNA
two lead coils. The spark plug wires are 8MM Mallory solid copper wire core. Spark plugs are AC real cold takes 8 of them as the heads are duel plug. The engines are geared together , both the front and rear cylinders fire at almost exact time, 2 degree lead on the front engine, these engines are referred to as BIG BANG motors when the liner fires 1500cc go BANG and then another 1500cc goes BANG. There is a stainless steel permanent degree wheel on the front engine about 7 inches in diameter with pointer set at 45 degree BTDC, two marks for front and rear motors. The rear engine drives the distributor . When the engine is running at idle , the distributer is turned until the pointer, read by a timing light is at 45 degrees , the front engine is actually firing at 47 degrees. the engines are super quick on throttle response. When the engines are wicked from 1500 rpm to 6500 (red line for a 4 and1/2 inch stroke motors due to extreme piston speed) the Timing light shows at the degree wheel when 6500 rpm is reached 40 to 39 degree advance, back to idle 1500 shows 45 degrees.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
My gripe is with your repeated assertions on the Britbike forum that I am untrustworthy, .
As a p.s. to my previous post, nowhere on Britbike Forum did I say you were untrustworthy. In light of the many verifiable complaints people have about magnetos restored by a number of people, in more than one place I certainly did issue cautions when selecting a magneto repairman, but nowhere did I either recommend someone to use, or not to use, nor did I name anyone as untrustworthy. Beyond just issuing general cautions, which aren't of much use, I listed a number of specific things to look for to increase the chances of finding someone who at least was properly equipped to restore a magneto.