H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H57 Black Lightning Sprocket Adapter

Cyborg

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
That one is simple in design and would be easy to make. PITA to change sprockets, but would allow you to use smaller ones. I suppose…back in the day the adapter would only be needed for LSR attempts? I don’t recall, but my decision was probably based on my Scottish DNA. Not wanting to pay for another drum and shoes.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
I used to Sprint Race with a bloke from Wales, Alan Davis ?,
He worked for Roger Slater at one time,
He used to cut his sprockets in half !,
For a quick change !, He rode a 750 Kwacker 2 stroke, Rode it to the meetings etc,
Changed sprocket and took out the exhaust baffels, I think he used Vincent sprockets ?.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
He always beat me, But in the end he had to change gearing etc,
He wanted to win my class and then go back to Wales and win at another meeting,
Same day, So tried to beat me without mods, I made him get his hands dirty !.

We swopped bikes one day and he still beat me on my Bike !,
His Bloody thing kept turning left !.
It was good though, Nicer than the 500 Mach 3 I had once , WOW.

litnman

VOC Member
I like my shop class version better.
IMG_6515.JPG
IMG_6516.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Hmm, why insisting on having the single brake drum at left side and have a special spacer made to mount the rear sprocket at right side ?? I was looking at that matter for some time and went for the single rear brake on right side and sprocket screwed onto the drum - same as with original design. This seemed to be a bit more logic to do and maybe saving some weight as well. Yes, you then have the brake linkage to go from left side pedal to the right side drum but not a big deal when you keep the standard brake crossover shaft. But then I did that job quite differently with no extra spoke flanges and all components homemade.

Vic
P1100232.JPG

P1100235.JPG

P1100184.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
Admittedly I feel free to build my bikes the way I like them, keeping the spirit of the 1940ies or so. Just I think there could be some good reason for having brake drum and sprocket not at same side but I could not find it. So I´d like to read how other guys came to their approach. Anyway, I will not change the rear wheels now , unless somebody got good reasons . As I mentioned earlier, my stories here are meant to entertain and in times may lead to some alternative discussions . . . .

Vic

Cyborg

VOC Member
Keeping in mind David’s comment about how few came with adapters…..the only reason I can think of is that some wanted a rear sprocket that was smaller in diameter than the brake drum.

And so you should build them the way you want to, unless you plan on something like this. Your modifications and work are always interesting and very well done. I’m tempted to copy your large idler racket damper.

You’ll just have to excuse my warped sense of humour.. seldom understood….

FBC2E25D-3D48-4A48-A61D-E452A17D5BF5.jpeg