E: Engine 500 Innards

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A couple of points of interest regarding the Alton's...........On the twins I've noticed that the new plastic drive sprocket that comes in the kit has teeth much wider that the stock steel item. this gives very little in the way of movement of the chainwheel, which can move quite a bit if the bushes are worn, and they do move a lot in service. I'm pretty sure this would contribute to the plastic shedding off the teeth. The other point that one of our members way up north had, was after either washing the bike and/or in heavy rain, with the bike resting on it's side stand, the Alton filled with water which had no where to drain successfully from, and this did serious damage to the internals. I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, I haven't bothered to check if they have drain holes around the base of the unit, but I will next time.
That lack of side clearance also feeds into my problems with a multi-plate clutch (recent thread) obviously any extra movement of the outer basket will loosen the clutch grip as discussed but will also move the chain wheel against the dynamo sprocket.

vibrac

VOC Member
Only if the PD 21 has changed in width, which is extremely unlikely.
If the spigot of the clutch is longer (which it was(is) on my multiplate by 60 thou) and there is un-shimed clearance in the outer basket then the chain wheel is only held in place (back) by the clutch springs in my case the clearance was enough for the clutch to slip and I suppose the chain wheel to react outwards in some cases

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
A couple of points of interest regarding the Alton's...........On the twins I've noticed that the new plastic drive sprocket that comes in the kit has teeth much wider that the stock steel item. this gives very little in the way of movement of the chainwheel, which can move quite a bit if the bushes are worn, and they do move a lot in service. I'm pretty sure this would contribute to the plastic shedding off the teeth. The other point that one of our members way up north had, was after either washing the bike and/or in heavy rain, with the bike resting on it's side stand, the Alton filled with water which had no where to drain successfully from, and this did serious damage to the internals. I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, I haven't bothered to check if they have drain holes around the base of the unit, but I will next time.
That was the first i did; close it up, also for avoiding metal debriss entering the very strong magnets.
Between the cradle and engine (not a B...) , i put a thin teflon woven material to insulate a bit from the hot engine, same as they use in the plastic sealing machines