E: Engine 500 Innards

Martyn Goodwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Are you sure Martyn ?, That sounds like the one from Canada, McDougleator ?. Cheers Bill.
Bill,

You are correct - my brain fade! This pic is a McDougleator aka Kubota.

upload_2017-9-19_16-10-18.png

I searched the club site and also the old thevincent.com and cannot find ANY reference to a Walkernator. Possibly you could try taking the (presumed) failed regulator unit to an auto electrician who may be able to offer a replacement .

Regards, Martyn

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry Martyn, that is not correct. There are somewhere between 70 and 80 Walkernaters out there and with one exception, of more which later, they all have Iskra alternators, which are made in Slovenia. These alternators are intended for use on small Citroen cars such as the 2CV and the Dyane etc. On these cars, which have air cooled twin cylinder engines, the alternators are mounted on the exhaust manifold where the only cooling is that from the air passing over the engine. I thought that if they could withstand that sort of heat then they would survive sitting behind a Vincent engine. They can give up to 30 amps at 14+ volts I.e. about 400 watts. These alternators require an external regulator. Last time I checked these were about £15 each. Either I can supply them or Vehicle Wiring Products, or similar can. They are a three wire system and

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Sorry Martyn, that is not correct. There are somewhere between 70 and 80 Walkernaters out there and with one exception, of more which later, they all have Iskra alternators, which are made in Slovenia. These alternators are intended for use on small Citroen cars such as the 2CV and the Dyane etc. On these cars, which have air cooled twin cylinder engines, the alternators are mounted on the exhaust manifold where the only cooling is that from the air passing over the engine. I thought that if they could withstand that sort of heat then they would survive sitting behind a Vincent engine. They can give up to 30 amps at 14+ volts I.e. about 400 watts. These alternators require an external regulator. Last time I checked these were about £15 each. Either I can supply them or Vehicle Wiring Products, or similar can. They are a three wire system and
Just found this on Iskra units http://www.iskra-agv.cz/us/pdf/alternators.pdf interesting stuff.

Martyn

timetraveller

VOC Member
Sorry Martyn, that is not correct. There are somewhere between 70 and 80 Walkernaters out there and with one exception, of more which later, they all have Iskra alternators, which are made in Slovenia. These alternators are intended for use on small Citroen cars such as the 2CV and the Dyane etc. On these cars, which have air cooled twin cylinder engines, the alternators are mounted on the exhaust manifold where the only cooling is that from the air passing over the engine. I thought that if they could withstand that sort of heat then they would survive sitting behind a Vincent engine. They can give up to 30 amps at 14+ volts I.e. about 400 watts. These alternators require an external regulator. Last time I checked these were about £15 each. Either I can supply them or Vehicle Wiring Products, or similar can. They are a three wire system and do require a switched 12 volt supply. (Sorry Vibrac, one just has to remember or fit a switch which combines an earthing switch from the magneto and the 12 volt supply to the regulator/alternator.) As far as I know none has yet war out a drive belt although some people have asked for a spare in case it ever fails. Replacement belts are also about £15. They are known as a J section belt for any one who wants to order independently with six chords (grooves and ridges). I was told by the manufacturers design engineer that three chords would transmit one horse power reliably so they are well over speced for longevity. The only problem with the design has been that on three of them one of the bearings inthe dynamo replacement have had the drive shaft turn in the and wear the drive shaft. The solution to this was invented by father and son Appleton and consists of a steel tube over the drive shaft which is trapped against both bearing inners, ensuring that everything has to turn together. Please note that the bikes involved gad all done many tens of thousands of miles before the problem occurred and the modification was built in to all the last kits sent out.
The one exception to the kits being supplied with Iskra alternars was a one off for Peter Holmes. He had access to a supply of Nippon Denso 40 amp alternators, which have the regulator built in. It proved possible to fit this to the rest of the parts with only minor modifications. Having not sol any kits for several years I have now had two orders come in in the last few months and theses will be dealt with once September is over. It has not proved possible to source Nippon Denso , now known as Denso, alternators so I have obtained some sold as Kubota, although I believe they are made to fit a variety of engines. By total chance I have one of these fitted to the three cylinder diesel engine in my ride on lawn mower, which has lasted for several years but with only a small number of hours compared with a car or bike.
If anyone wants any spare parts then I should be back in the UK next week.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Ooooppppss, I hope that one of the editors can sort that out. I was in mid flow on a tablet when Martyns item came in. One other thing for Vibrac to look at. There are two brushes in the Iskra alternators which can wear. Only one that I know of has done that on one of my local chums Comet. Replacement brushes are readily available

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Bill,

You are correct - my brain fade! This pic is a McDougleator aka Kubota.

View attachment 17356

I searched the club site and also the old thevincent.com and cannot find ANY reference to a Walkernator. Possibly you could try taking the (presumed) failed regulator unit to an auto electrician who may be able to offer a replacement .

Regards, Martyn
These are good to, Had one for a long time, But there was a fault in the instructions, Don't do the drive sprocket nut up Too tight !. Cheers Bill.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
my Alton runs fine now........ (its called learning)
done a steel sprocket, that keeps a bit of the irratic momentum into the single axle soothing it out, rather than onto the prim-chain, furthermore theres no more plastic coming LOOSE when cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm (the magneto pinion: I like the tufnol ones, as the POM ones expand a 0,4-0,5 mm when warm.)

Do yourself a favor and use two of those....nord-lock rings and glue onto the centerbolt (and 243 on the two small bolts),
btw, check the inner bolt retaining the magnet, do 243.

Job done.

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
my Alton runs fine now........ (its called learning)
done a steel sprocket, that keeps a bit of the irratic momentum into the single axle soothing it out, rather than onto the prim-chain, furthermore theres no more plastic coming LOOSE when cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm cold warm (the magneto pinion: I like the tufnol ones, as the POM ones expand a 0,4-0,5 mm when warm.)

Do yourself a favor and use two of those....nord-lock rings and glue onto the centerbolt (and 243 on the two small bolts),
btw, check the inner bolt retaining the magnet, do 243.

Job done.
Please tell more about the inner bolt - pictures would be good! and what 2 small bolts????

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The Walkernator uses a alternator from a small Kubota tractor. So find your local Kubota dealer and you should be on the money for a new voltage regulator.
The Kubota alternator installation is completely different from the Walkernator alternator setup. The Walkernator uses a Citroen altenator drive from a countershaft via a polyv belt.

greg brillus

VOC Member
A couple of points of interest regarding the Alton's...........On the twins I've noticed that the new plastic drive sprocket that comes in the kit has teeth much wider that the stock steel item. this gives very little in the way of movement of the chainwheel, which can move quite a bit if the bushes are worn, and they do move a lot in service. I'm pretty sure this would contribute to the plastic shedding off the teeth. The other point that one of our members way up north had, was after either washing the bike and/or in heavy rain, with the bike resting on it's side stand, the Alton filled with water which had no where to drain successfully from, and this did serious damage to the internals. I am not sure if anyone else has had this problem, I haven't bothered to check if they have drain holes around the base of the unit, but I will next time.