Rear Frame Member Who Won The RFM Pivot on eBay?

Marvel

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So who won the RFM pivot on eBay? It looked like a TTR or special as it had aluminium bearing housings and and was severely drilled for lightness. I was hoping to get it as it’s one of the few big bits I need. A centre frame is the other.

Marvel

VOC Member
Are you talking about the main frame itself that your after.......
Hi Greg,
Yes, it’s the main frame I need. Ideally from a late ‘39 bike if they are different but think they are all the same. The other part is the RFM pivot I missed on eBay. I only missed it by £10 which was annoying. It would be fairly easy to copy from an original except for the bearing housings. Have they ever been reproduced?

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
Hi Greg,
Yes, it’s the main frame I need. Ideally from a late ‘39 bike if they are different but think they are all the same. The other part is the RFM pivot I missed on eBay. I only missed it by £10 which was annoying. It would be fairly easy to copy from an original except for the bearing housings. Have they ever been reproduced?
I wouldn't beat yourself up to much over missing out on an Ebay bid by a mere £10.00, if you had bid another £11.00 or any other figure you care to think of, there is absolutely no guarantee that would have been the winning bid, it is no different to being at a live auction house, the bidding only ceases when all the other bidders drop out, you just happened to drop out before the other guy.

lee_812d

VOC Member
It's the same except the time limit causing snipers. What they should do is not close the bidding until 1 minute after the last bid, that gives people the chance to respond and/or bail out properly. The bidding would probably happen at the start in order to drive the price up and scare people off so would still finish at about the same time.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
It's the same except the time limit causing snipers. What they should do is not close the bidding until 1 minute after the last bid, that gives people the chance to respond and/or bail out properly. The bidding would probably happen at the start in order to drive the price up and scare people off so would still finish at about the same time.
That is definitely the way to go, I think Car an Classic do this with their auctions, initially I found it confusing, until I realised how the system worked, I have always found sniping to be highly successful, but it is a dangerous game to play if two people are using sniping bids with very high hidden bids, anyone fancy paying £500.00 for a rocker cap in the last few seconds?

Marvel

VOC Member
I wouldn't beat yourself up to much over missing out on an Ebay bid by a mere £10.00, if you had bid another £11.00 or any other figure you care to think of, there is absolutely no guarantee that would have been the winning bid, it is no different to being at a live auction house, the bidding only ceases when all the other bidders drop out, you just happened to drop out before the other guy.
I normally decide the maximum I’d be prepared to pay and bid that with a few seconds to go. If I don’t win I didn’t want it enough. If it doesn’t reach my maximum I’m happy. As long as whoever won it puts it to good use and doesn’t store it under a bench with all their other Series A parts.

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
If you really wanna have it.

Put your silly" price at auction sniper.
Works a charm. it just goes a dollar higher than the last bid.
Al in the last split second

And yes RFM series A are reproduced, by Neal Videan and Rodney Brown.

Cheers

V.

Marvel

VOC Member
I missed the RFM pivot but I did win a very nice Series A Comet Special (magazine article) in French. Thank goodness for Google Translate!