Recommissioning a '48 Rapide

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi Bill,
I got a battery, filled the tank, checked a spark and then spent an exhausting afternoon kick starting it until it finally fired up. It ran evenly but I switched it off after a minute when smoke started coming out of the exhaust 'manifold' (an oily smell so maybe just burning it off) and the pipes got very hot. Not sure if that is normal but I didn't want to take any chances. Tomorrow I will re-check oil levels etc before trying again. So far all good and thought I would let you know.
Cheers
Paul

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
You didn't read the start up, Bit did you :) .
A lot of us after a winter layoff, Have to drain the sump, We call it wet sumping.
They say other bikes suffer it too.
If you look under the left side chain case, You sitting on the bike !!.
There is a prop stand plate, There is a hole in the plate with the head of a bolt ,
Take it out and see if much oil comes out, Vincent's are Dry sump, But you will always get some out.
If we don't drain it and fill the oil tank to the bar about 4" down from the filler cap,
When we start up the extra oil in the sump pumps back up and over fills the tank, If it's bad , We have oil all
over the engine !!!!!.
I think we have all done it at sometime.
Have a read up of one of the books, To check the right bolt to take out ?.
Good luck.
If there is too much oil in the sump, It makes it hard to turn the engine over !.

Well Done for getting it going.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
When you get it going tomorrow , Take the filler cap off , To see if the oil is coming back,
It will come in fits and starts, They do that, it's not a steady stream.
I always start my bike up, Before I go for a ride and check the oil is returning, And have a look round for oil or petrol leaks, Just something I do, These are OLD Bikes, Tyre pressures etc,
As well as chain case level, and gearbox level.
The small bolt on the outside of the chain case is the level plug !!!, There is NO drain plug.
If you have too much oil in the chain case, It will mess the clutch up !!
I find it quicker to look down the hole with the filler cap off, To see the oil just touching the chain.
And also check the tension of the chain, You don't want it too tight.
The gearbox should hold 2 pints English., You only want it touching the very bottom of the dip stick !!.
Wipe the stick dry and check it a few times, I got caught out once, The splash from the gears told me there was enough oil ! and there wasn't !!!!
I like to check all this often, Because oil can go from one place to another if you are unlucky,
It does not take long to do all this , When you know how.

Sorry if I am going on too much.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
There was clear oil at the right level when I took out the dip stick and checked. The oil level in the tank though was right down the bottom when I shone my torch down so from what you say I need to fill it after draining the sump. I have the book so tomorrow will actually read up on it all. Call me impetuous but I just needed reassurance that the engine worked.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
Not sure what oil to put in the tank but I think I read somewhere Castrol XL (SAE 30/40)?
I think my starting issue is the lifter(?) cable because sometimes the hand lever is hard to pull in and sometimes easier. Also when I release it on the kick down it sometimes goes down with no resistance as if not engaging. A lot to learn but at least I have the time to do so.

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Engine oil for me should be single grade 40 in summer and 30 in winter,
But the other lads will say i am wrong !.
Nice to know you are Keen, I am when I have the strength !, Even after all these years.
My valve lifter is the same, Just turn the engine over a bit and it changes, They are strange Bikes.
If the sump is full of oil, It makes it hard to turn over,
Put a BIG tray under the chain case !, There could be 4 pints + in there.

PaulC

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I took this photo on arrival. Previous owner was a collector who owned it for 40 years and only added 600 miles. Probably dry stored for several years so now I know I didn't buy a mechanical dud at the auction I will spend my time doing a proper recommission following your advice and other threads. I also have the Riders Handbook and Maintenance Series. Many thanks for your invaluable help getting off the starting block.
Cheers Paul

Attachments

• Vincent Rapide 5.jpeg
    Vincent Rapide 5.jpeg
    319.6 KB · Views: 53

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
Super looking Bike Paul, Some people think the Bramton forks are safer, So looks a Good Buy.
All The Best, Bill.