FT: Frame (Twin) Weight of bike on rear wheel.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I've just been calculating the forces on the rear of a twin for a friend who has an AVO rear coil over. From the compression of the spring, its rate and taking into account that due to the leverage of the RFM design which gives about 50% more force on the damper than on the tyre I make it that there is only about 137 lbs at the tyre. For a bike which weighs about 450 this does not seem correct. Has anyone out there weighed the rear end of a twin and has the figure handy?

vibrac

VOC Member
Calculate all you want but that AVO coil over sure works, and I got the racers adjusted in 2 days at the factory and My Comet handles like it never has before

davidd

VOC Member
This was Justin MacKay-Smith's Rapide. I did not make a lot of notes about the bike or rider. It should yield some clues

Rapide with Fairing.PNG

David

timetraveller

VOC Member
Yes I was not thinking too clearly. The forces that I was calculating are, of course, due to the weight of the rest of the bike, plus rider, pushing down on the rear end. The weight on the ground would be the figure I was getting plus the weight of the RFM, wheel etc. I'll go back to sleep now:eek: