Misc: Everything Else Voltage regulator for lion battery

Kevin Emery

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello

I have a C series Rapide with Alton generator, podtronics voltage regulator and a lead acid battery. The bike is fitted with a Grosset starter motor and a large battery to suit. Although it works well the large battery is unsightly, to my eyes at least.

To sort out the aesthetics I would like to fit a smaller lithium ion battery in a standard battery box.

To do that I would need a voltage regulator that is suitable for a lithium ion battery. Has anyone ever fitted a voltage regulator between an Alton generator and lithium ion battery that is specific for a lithium ion battery? If so can you please share the solution?

I know some have used standard voltage regulators on lithium ion batteries. I do not want to do that.

Thank you for your help with this.

Kevin

vibrac

VOC Member
I use altons regulator on a alton feeding a small lithium battery in a standard battery box on my Comet with a Electric start. The ammeter stays at 0, deflects slightly when I use the front brake and after starting takes about a mile to return to zero it certainly doesn't balance the load when the headlight is on but thats not a great concern of mine I just need to get back after a club night some 20 miles or so and it soon recovers

RedRyder

Non-VOC Member
Good luck getting a positive response on what regulator is specific. I have it on personal experience and from others that the PodTronics does not cut it with lithium in numerous instances. Mighty glad Martyn is getting good results but is that with a Comet? I have used lithium batteries for many years on numerous machines. I bought 3 different ones for my Rapide to use with Alton, Grosset and PodTronics. No go. Use Francois’ latest rec with Yuasa and Alton and PodTronic will likely do well. I like stock look, also, but if you are using a 12 v PodTronic it won’t look stock, anyway, nor one of the lithium-specific regulators. Problem I’ve had so far with the lithium guys is that they won’t respond clearly to any of my messages regarding this. Like you, I would love to know WHAT REALLY WORKS, here, with LITHIUM batteries. Despite Martyn’s joy and success, I know of too many failures with PodTronics with lithium batteries. Hope the winning regulator is exposed! Good question, thanks for posting.

vibrac

VOC Member
I can only say my Lithium Battery in a standard case has run my Alton and electric start Comet since April looks like a 1950's Exide!

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Lithium iron or Lithium ion? Two slightly different animals

Some insight here

Vincent Brake

VOC Member
There is something with lit.fe ion batteries.
These are the starter ones.
If empty the shorai can be charged each parallel set separately, as where an normal charge system charges in serie a set of parallel connected single batteries.

Problem with serial charging is something with different internal resistance, causing different charge in each set.

There's also the difference in voltage from lead caid batteries.

Not that I know anything about them...
So I have been told, by @Bart

I run m all with either podtronics. Or the previous supplied by Alton.
Keeps pottering on though.