ET: Engine (Twin) Valve Lifter Adjustment

moto8500

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am away from home and left without Know Thy Beast. The valve lifter lever has what I consider to be excessive movement but enough to have resistance suggesting the valve lifter is operating. What is the optimum adjustment and how do I achieve it. Thanks.

timetraveller

VOC Member
You will know if it is working as pulling the lever in will either release the compression or not. The adjustment is not critical. Enough slack to make sure the valves are sealing properly and enough tension to enure that the lifters work.

Last edited:

Alyson

VOC Member
Now, if you are using the decompression lever to shut the engine down, and it's not working, then that's another story. One could put it in high gear, and pop the clutch and hope the engine stalls, or ....

Bill Thomas

VOC Member
You need lots of slack at the lever to let the rubbers in the tube ,
Where the cable goes into the engine, So they can do there work to stop oil leaking out there.

moto8500

VOC Member
Thank you so much for your replies. I have a kill button in the ignition circuit so never used the decompressor to stop the engine but now I have and the decompressor worked fine so I will take the advice and leave well alone.