Twin Kickstart Lever

roger v

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Its probably an old chestnut , but for a newcomer, what alternatives are available, albeit suitably modified, to replace G 76. Can machine and have welding facilities available . Roger Walker

vibrac

VOC Member
One I would steer clear of is that literally outstanding Honda Job, the Human anatomy was not designed to use that on a Vincent. Also I have heard of horror stories of what happens when the kick start lever breaks there is a reason why the item costs so much it needs to be very tough and very strong you are kicking over two Comets! and weld breaks:eek:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
I have recently spoken to a couple of folks who both over the years had kick start levers break or fail at the splines.
Both guys hurt themselves-badly.
What they both had in common was the levers were reproductions bought at a comparative cheap cost to the usual.
Knee replacements are not cheap.
Spend your money wisely short cuts are not a good idea.

roger v

VOC Member
Hi All Its not that I am trying to shave the cost down or compromise on quality , but should my Norvin not accept the std part I would be looking for an alternative of some sort , although its a bit into the future at the moment .

eglijim

VOC Member
One I would steer clear of is that literally outstanding Honda Job, the Human anatomy was not designed to use that on a Vincent. Also I have heard of horror stories of what happens when the kick start lever breaks there is a reason why the item costs so much it needs to be very tough and very strong you are kicking over two Comets! and weld breaks:eek:
Lets hope the similar long folding RGM kickstart for the Egli Comet is up to the job for a 9:1 636cc engine, fingers crossed that twin plugs are decent ignition will help despite a fairly lumpy cam .

Attachments

• IMG_3022.jpeg
    IMG_3022.jpeg
    342.9 KB · Views: 28

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Poor little box.
Choice of electronic ignition will help, with no kick back and easy starting, downside is having to hide a battery.
Considering my options on my Vincent custom chop.
I know horror....
Al

erik

VOC Member
With the help of the decompression it is not a heavy job to kickstart my twin. Al we both had seen how a twin was started into live by hand!! With the original kickstart lever!! Regards Erik

Speedtwin

VOC Member
By a braver man than me Erik.
My D starts with half a kick was tempted to try the hand method, then I remembered I am not a God.

vibrac

VOC Member
Hi All Its not that I am trying to shave the cost down or compromise on quality , but should my Norvin not accept the std part I would be looking for an alternative of some sort , although its a bit into the future at the moment .
That implies to be that you have a Norton Box I know there was a lot on here a year or so ago (search) about the different ratio of the Norton kick start making kicking different. it seemed OK with an AMC box and an Egli Comet.
I am afraid my Norvin Knowlege is poor as I have never seen a need for one

roger v

VOC Member
Hi All , No Tim my Norvin will not be a chopped variant , but should the std part not work in my case ,the extention and RGM lever looks to be a suitable alternative and quite easy to make . Electronic ignition and two sparks per head will also feature . Thanks Eglijim for that attachment