E: Engine Turned liner

powella

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Photo`s show the resulting out of position liner due to the cylinder head not being ground in properly.
The oil and the stamping on the Head flange suggest that this joint was never ground in AT ALL

Attachments

• hemmings 030 (2).jpg
    hemmings 030 (2).jpg
    448 KB · Views: 50
  • hemmings 015.jpg
    hemmings 015.jpg
    421.4 KB · Views: 50

greg brillus

VOC Member
Although that one does look quite bad, it is very common......I've seen the top hat of the liners cracked away......My guess is that whilst apart, most don't look at the height difference between the liner hat and the recess in the head.......The liner should always be the sacrificial part not the head so much.......This is why on rebuilds I near always replace the barrels complete, as there are many items on these barrels that need carefully measuring......not just the bore.......I've wasted money getting barrels bored/honed only to find after that the liner height was wrong and would not seal in the head.......had to fit new liners and start again.......we've all done it.......Ideally the head recess should be 0.125" depth and the liner hat should be 0.127" or there abouts.......not always easy to achieve, but that is what the difference should be.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Do you order muff assemblies individually per job or order enough to have some in stock for anticipated jobs? The shipping time from the UK must be a consideration.

My liners are at the maximum oversize piston size, so I'll have to go to new parts if I ride the bike enough to wear the bores out.

greg brillus

VOC Member
I buy them as an assembly when I need them........nice to have them in stock but costs are becoming prohibitive like everything, parts costs have gone through the roof..... materials are the main reason so I'm told.