Timing an engine

bmetcalf

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So the oblong tunnel between the valves and the cylinder bore is 'as cast'? I guess with a low output sidevalve it isn't too bad.

oexing

VOC Member
Timing a sidevalve engine is no different to ohv engines, equal lift at TDC as well. The first flat twin BMW from 1923 had one piece cylinder and head too, with screwed in plugs over the valves . So you´d machine seats from there certainly, I did that a while ago on a Terrot 350 with the Hunger valve boring head with automatic feed cutting the 45 degrees seats.
The Panhard engine was quite unknown to me in all details. But I can see machining the valve seat recesses and machining the seats in there is not a big headache once they do this job at the factory before shrinking in the cylinder liner from below - gives acces for a decent mandrel and countersink despite angled valves deep below and head and cylinder unit one piece. Even so, I would not want to operate these Panhards, their designers had christian names all Phils possibly . . . .

Vic

BMW R 32.jpg

vibrac

VOC Member
Well I found TDC by my patented squeezed pinky method, I can just get my little finger in the valve recess and across to the top of the bore as the piston comes up it squeezes my finger when the pain is at its maximum thats TDC
And yes I can just stick a height gauge on the follower stems as they rise and fall
Its the platform mag and a bunch of loose rollers that is going to be less fun.