INSINUATING INSERTION;
INTERJECTION IMPLICIT
INNUENDO IN TRANSIT
INVOLUNTARY INPUT IN PERSON

Ogden Nash ??

Dave Jackson

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Just taken a micrometer to the stud itself and its made with a bit of 6mm bar. This is 14 thou undersize from a quarter inch and when you put it into proper 1/4 inch threads rattles around all over the shop. The top threads of the crankcase hole were quite damaged when I put it in, but I screwed it down a lot deeper and threw in a load of locktite. Suffice to say this only lasted about 200 miles before the stud had munched through the rest of it.

I bought the stud from the club spares co in July this year, so nice quality control. Pays to check whatever you get from them. I'll send them an email and see what they have to say.

The VOC Spares Company Limited

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
ET185ss

This is an extract for an e-mail sent to David following receiving one from him.

David
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have checked the remaining stock of the ET185 Hook Bolt and I can confirm you are correct the long threaded rod is made from 6mm material, strangely the short cross bar is made from ¼” rod.

These were made almost 5 years ago (2½ year before I joined the Company) they are as you can imagine a slow moving item however several have been sold over this period and yours is the first comment to my knowledge.

I have scraped the remains of the batch and I will investigate a new source of supply, I have no record of who made them, not uncommon for items that have been on the shelf for some years.

Regards
Ian Savage
VOC Spares Co.

As to the repair and warranty matters I will discuss this with David directly.

Just taken a micrometer to the stud itself and its made with a bit of 6mm bar. This is 14 thou undersize from a quarter inch and when you put it into proper 1/4 inch threads rattles around all over the shop. The top threads of the crankcase hole were quite damaged when I put it in, but I screwed it down a lot deeper and threw in a load of locktite. Suffice to say this only lasted about 200 miles before the stud had munched through the rest of it.

I bought the stud from the club spares co in July this year, so nice quality control. Pays to check whatever you get from them. I'll send them an email and see what they have to say.

vince998

VOC Member
This is an extract for an e-mail sent to David following receiving one from him.

David
Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I have checked the remaining stock of the ET185 Hook Bolt and I can confirm you are correct the long threaded rod is made from 6mm material, strangely the short cross bar is made from ¼” rod.

These were made almost 5 years ago (2½ year before I joined the Company) they are as you can imagine a slow moving item however several have been sold over this period and yours is the first comment to my knowledge.

I have scraped the remains of the batch and I will investigate a new source of supply, I have no record of who made them, not uncommon for items that have been on the shelf for some years.

Regards
Ian Savage
VOC Spares Co.

As to the repair and warranty matters I will discuss this with David directly.

Nice to see a prompt reply and signs of responsibility (although the offending parts were sourced before Ians time).
Well done.

RUSSEL, we need to talk about my primary clutch plate :D

Tom Gaynor

VOC Member
Much depends on how the threads were formed. If they were rolled, then 6 mm might be just about the right size to produce a 1/4" thread. Back when God was a boy we used "forming taps" which had no cutting edges, but squeezed the "troughs" of the threads to form the crests, essentially cold forging them. The "tapping size" for these was about 10 thou bigger than for a cut thread.
(If they were cut male threads it is less defensible - although I speak as someone GIVEN 20 feet of 6 mm stainless thickwall tubing, from which I made dozens of brake rods. Dammit, I would have had to BUY 1/4" rod! Threads can be truncated without loss of strength, so the 10 thou difference between 6 mm and 1/4" 1) wasn't apparent to the naked eye anyway and 2) made no structural difference.)
I post this, bravely, conscious that it may incur the disapproval of Peter Stokes. I can live with it.

vibrac

VOC Member
They do say that had the French been a little more accurate with measuring the diameter of Earth when establishing the dreaded meter then 6mm would have been 1/4" and an inch would have been 24mm and that old English king who measured twixt finger tip and nose would not only have been imperial but also metric and vindicated....

Howard

VOC Member
They do say that had the French been a little more accurate with measuring the diameter of Earth when establishing the dreaded meter then 6mm would have been 1/4" and an inch would have been 24mm and that old English king who measured twixt finger tip and nose would not only have been imperial but also metric and vindicated....

Yes, and if Henry I had been bigger, a yard would have been a metre long..................but then a mile would have been 10% farther and it would be even harder to get a Shaddow to do 125 mph. :)

H

What was this thread about ??