FT: Frame (Twin) Stop valve mesh repair

Steve F

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a small (1/8 dia.) hole in the mesh strainer that goes into the tank. I'd like to solder it closed, but of course the mesh is oily and oxidised. Getting the oil off is relatively easy, but getting a un-oxidised base for the solder to adhere to is mush harder. Although as I'm typing this it's occurring to me that maybe I can stuff a rod up the inside that will provide enough support to allow some external abrasion to get the solder to stick.

Is there an easy chemical way ?

clevtrev

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I have a small (1/8 dia.) hole in the mesh strainer that goes into the tank. I'd like to solder it closed, but of course the mesh is oily and oxidised. Getting the oil off is relatively easy, but getting a un-oxidised base for the solder to adhere to is mush harder. Although as I'm typing this it's occurring to me that maybe I can stuff a rod up the inside that will provide enough support to allow some external abrasion to get the solder to stick.

Is there an easy chemical way ?
Clean it with an acid. Over here I would use Bakers Fluid flux, which is basically hydrochloric acid.