Non Vincent Related Steve McQueen's Husqvarna 400 Cross sells at auction for $186,500

A 1970s Husqvarna motocross bike owned by The Great Escape star Steve McQueen has sold for $186,500 (£157,919) at an auction in California.

The 1971 Husqvarna 400 Cross is said to still be in the condition it was when ridden by McQueen. It has not been started since being sold in the 1984 Steve McQueen Estate Auction after his death, and still has all the dents and scratches from his use.

Powered by a 396cc two-stroke single, the favoured Husky was sold with a certificate of authenticity, plus the bill of sale given to the buyer back in 1984. Since that time, it’s had three owners, with the latest keeper enjoying it for the past 11 years.

The 400 Cross formed part of The Quail Auction on August 19, which took place at the Quail Lodge and Golf Club in Carmel, California. Nestled amongst a 137-strong line-up of rare and collectable cars, it was one of three motorcycles at the event.

Joining this was a 1950 Vincent Rapide Series C Black Shadow, and a 1954 Norton Big 4. These sold for $51,750 and $11,500 respectively.

Screenshot 2022-08-25 at 17.14.30.png

Tnecniv Edipar

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
I have a story about this bike, I almost bought it back in 1984 when it was sold at the original McQueen estate sell off!!! I wasn't going to be able to afford any of the bigger stuff but was very tempted by this.
What eventually prevented me bidding was the difficulty in getting it to the UK without going to the USA to organise it, and the cost of doing so. I almost choked when I read how much it went for this time, the original price was about $15k if memory serves!!! I knew it would appreciate but not to this extent!!
Arrrrrgh! Looks like it's had some sympathetic restoration since then, I have the original auction pix and it was far scruffier then, in a good way. I would have left it like that.