SPAM?

G

Graham Smith

Norman - All.

On behalf of the Club's Executive Committee, once again I'd like to apologise to anyone who has received an e-mail (I've received them too).

Unfortunately, it would appear it's something the membership database server has sent out automatically some time this morning.

As I'm not involved in the Membership Database, I can't even begin to guess why this has happened.

At this stage, it doesn't look like there's anything malicious about it, although our Hon. Secretary @Gilli will have to look into it once she's back from her European tours.

If you have received such an e-mail, please delete it.

Regards

Graham Smith

Last edited by a moderator:

n650ss

Forum User
VOC Member
Is anyone else getting messages supposed to be from the VOC asking for security details. I had two arrive this morning so let us know if they are real and we can answer. If not then I will keep deleting them.
Hi, I've had 2 in the past couple of days- both the same & "demanding a response" with reference to GDPR- I will delete them as they arrive.

Shanghai

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Even if I wanted to respond. How would I?
The email says "[Go the web page to answer questions]" but where to find the questions if there are any?

Robert Watson

VOC Member
On the VOC Club website (not the forum) there is a heading GDPR, click on that and it will ask you to say yes or no to 3 things about e mail. Stuff they have to have you agree to for the EU General Data Protection Rules. I don't think it is spam, just not handled well................

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
I recently had an email that appeared to come from a section member. The content looked suspicious, it had a strange looking link in the text. His address was also in the message but with a few letters incorrect. I was able to telephone the member and confirm that he had not sent the email. It pays to be diligent. A few observations.
Many email providers have filters on their servers to catch a lot of spam before it gets to you, however:
  • If the email subject line looks suspicious. e.g. Free Black Shadow to the first 50 to reply …) Don’t open it.
  • If you open a message and it looks suspicious don’t click any links in the message.
  • Don’t reply to suspicious messages.
  • Don’t give out your main email address to all and sundry. e.g. Posts in forums. Some forums have “public” areas that anyone can read and find your email addresses. If you have put it in a post. (Internet robots (bots) can also automatically scan sites to collect posted email addresses.
  • Most providers allow you to have several email addresses. Set up a few and use a different one for certain things. e.g. Forums, newsgroups, etc. If you then get a problem with a certain address it helps identify where spam may be coming from and you can delete that address.
  • If you are a bit more technical you can set up filters in some email programmes to automatically delete messages that have certain words in the subject line or messages that come from certain addresses or domains.
It goes without saying that you should have some sort of Anti-Virus programme installed on your computer. If you are on a budget there are several well-known companies that have free versions of their AV programmes available for download. These do quite a good job although they do not have as many features as the paid for versions.
In the event that you are unfortunate enough to catch something nasty it is a good idea to have made a back-up of any important files on a CD, DVD, memory stick, in "the cloud" or an external hard drive.

timetraveller

VOC Member
However, these tricky little b***ards can fool you. The last time I got hit it was a message from BT saying that my latest bill was now on line. I do get exactly that message from BT every quarter. However, this time clicking on the site did not bring up a bill so I assumed that I had pressed the wrong button and did it again. By 0700 the next day the begging letters had got as far as the USA! The trick I have learnt is to hover the mouse pointer over the senders email address before clicking on the email itself. This shows up where it was sent from. Still does not mean that I wont get caught again.:mad:

TouringGodet

VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
That same trick of hovering the mouse works for the links too. Don’t click any link without first displaying what the link is, and comparing it to the website of the companies you deal with already, especially the domain name part, the xxx.com or yyy.co.uk, etc. My work email address recently had an official looking message claiming to be from Microsoft, and the link it asked me to click did not have microsoft.com in it anywhere.