Misc: Stands Series 'D' Stand Linkage

Lagerbolzen1

New Forum User
VOC Member
I’m fitting a Series 'D' lever handle stand to a Rapide.

I wonder if anybody could help please with the centres length of the straight flat linkage bar.

I believe it’s part number is FT295, and it connects the bottom stand frame to the lever and I need to fabricate it.

timetraveller

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A way to check this out on your own bike is to support the bike on its wheels, put the stand into a horizontal position and then place the handle where you want it to go. That is the handle needs to be horizontal, pointing forwards, as well. You can then measure the distance. If you are fitting this to an open bike, perhaps a 'C', then the following will not matter to you but there is a design fault on these stands which means that when used on an enclosed 'D' the stand goes too far back and forces the cable into the fibreglass of the rear enclosure. The solution to this, is, I think, in Eddie Steven's book and it requires shortening the upwards lever on the stand and making a longer version of the part you need to make. It also has the advantage of improving the leverage and thus making it easier to lift the bike up onto the stand. I can't find the illustration in my copy of the book but someoe on here will be better able to give you the correct reference.

Last edited:

Hugo Myatt

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I’m fitting a Series 'D' lever handle stand to a Rapide.

I wonder if anybody could help please with the centres length of the straight flat linkage bar.

I believe it’s part number is FT295, and it connects the bottom stand frame to the lever and I need to fabricate it.
8 and 3/16th inches between hole centres on the connecting piece on the D type stand fitted to my C Rapide. However, the stand was fitted by Furness and Searle thirty years ago. How much of it used standard D parts, i.e. handle and legs section, or how much was constructed by F&S I would not know. It was brilliant to use requiring only a single finger to operate it.

Hugo