SL: Series 'D' Enclosures Series D Comet Replica

Peter Holmes

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I am trying to tidy up my Series D Comet, the front distributer cowl is a bit of a dogs breakfast at the moment, bit of a scruffy home made affair, I have a couple of the Series D twin cowls and would like to make one good Comet cowl, can anyone enlighten me, the bottom through bolt goes through two small tabs, either soldered or welded to the cowl, do those tabs go inboard of the engine plates or outboard, or one in and one out.
On the timing chest side does the cowl overlap the timing case casting and if so by how much, or does it sit inboard of the casting with a clearance gap, I would guess the 1000cc fixing that bolts to where the B + C engine breather goes is not used on the D Comet at all as there is no breather or fixing to use.
I have photos of the Real D Comet as displayed in the Barn at the Annual Rally and also the pictures in the Bickerstaff book, but none are clear enough for me to draw a conclusion.
Any help gratefully accepted.

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Peter,
I have sent you a PM with contact details of the person who can most likely help you with this.
Peter B