Burman Gearbox Series ‘A’ Twin Gearbox Type

Phil Davies

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A quick question, is the gearbox for an A twin a Burman X1BAPDH type and if so does it have the same push/pull adjuster as Ariel - ie a pin in the top mounting casting that attaches to a threaded bar that has a collared adjuster on it, the adjuster locating in a frame/engine plate bracket?
Bit like the attached image!

Attachments

• BA gearbox.jpg
    BA gearbox.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 54

A_HRD

VOC Member
My answer is a little longer. 'A' Twins had gearbox number prefix 2XBAPH (yes, usually followed by a number 5****). That's not to say people haven't fitted other types which are close.... at risk of some misalignment of chains.

Moreover, that mainshaft looks waaaay too long at the drive end. I'll try to find mine tomorrow and post a picture... (Sorry Robert/Phil !!).

Peter B

Phil Davies

Non-VOC Member
Ah, thanks for that Pete.
The prefix 2X....... is a bit of a giveaway then for me.
Ah well, I remember picking up the box years (and years...!) ago, I knew one type of bike it fits and vaguely remembered something of the 'XBAPH' being related to A twins - hence the question.

Don't trouble with getting pictures, I'll take it as not A twin.
Cheers, Phil

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I did notice the looooong mainshaft, but was really only answering the questions about the adjuster being like an A twin. I had my shortsighted glasses on this morning!

Bill Stevens

New Forum User
VOC Member
Robert, clear the frost from your glasses. Brrrrrr! Cold in the PNW this morning. When is it going to rain?
Shadow is ready for road testing. Carbs are squeaky clean with new petcocks and screens.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
Not sure how Bill ended up in the "Tech. Advice: Series 'A' 500cc/1000cc Bikes " department. I guess the cold weather in the PNW (Pacific North West of the US) must have frozen his brain. Here in ther Balmy PSW of Canada we are enjoying delightfully sunny weather. In fact I had the topless MGA out for a pleasant drive to breakfast yesterday morning. Most Invigorating!

Perhaps a Mod could find a more appropriate spot to which this highly exciting post could be moved!