F: Frame Seeking Measurements For Hills-Conway Center Stand Twin

CarlHungness

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm ordering a Hills-Conway center stand and making mods even before it arrives. Can someone tell me: the diameter of the vertical tubes: distance from the RFM pivot bolt to the Hills pivot bolt; is the stand pivot bolt in line with the RFM pivot bolt; where does the 'stop' hit, diameter of the pivot bolt, does it use a Nyloc style nut on one end. I know the Hills stand works but am in agreement the feet might be improved and possibly the stop, so I'm sketching, etc. I like the feet on this stand sent to me by a fellow member, Vic??

Attachments

• Vincent Center Stand Feet Idea.JPG
    Vincent Center Stand Feet Idea.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 49

Robert Watson

VOC Member
1989 or 1990 Honda GB500, delightful motorcycle and you can treat it like a Honda! Can't find a picture of mine right now.....

erik

VOC Member
From the tecnical side a kickstart like on the Honde is the inferior design because the whole force is on the hinge.The better solution is like on the Vincent or on a Norton kickstart. Erik

Chris Launders

VOC Member
The problem with that type of foot is there's nowhere much for the right hand side one to go on a twin because of the chain/silencer proximity, on mine the foot lies immediately alongside the chain a fingers width below the silencer when up. On the Honda the silencer is much further up and out.

oexing

VOC Member
The photo is from our Clubman, I got the mainstand idea from the 1934 Guzzi. I have not decided on the shape of a good stand for the Vincent so one has to see where to go with the curved feet. On the Guzzi they go outside of exhaust, on the 600cc Horex just inside the pipes, see photos. I´d think you can find a place on the Vincent. The feet are made of a fat curved ss plate and another length welded all along the corners of the curved part. Try to have the last bit parallel to the ground for good support on soft ground - and no nicks on your garage floor as well - unlike the Hills type. For shapes I did not think of having the Hills type at all as quite likely you have to find a new design anyway to fit . But it is worthwhile definitely with the roll-on effect of the curved feet. Best to see with a cardboard on a piece of paper for shapes when lowering the stand to first contact and then along a steady climb when rolling back to your desired stand height, with stand a bit more to the front for safe parking.
Actually the Honda stand got a bit very light weight but still allright and it does not have to go very high when up, depends on where the feet end from centerline for lean. Well, at 70 , lean is a lot less dramatic than in younger times - was never then with me no racer personality, always too worried about ruining myself or more so the bike .

Vic
Guzzi GTV 500kl.jpg

P1010976.JPG

P1010980.JPG

DSC00054.JPG

P1010973.JPG

P1010971.JPG
P1030328.JPG

Chris Launders

VOC Member
Well you just got me thinking, so I dug out my spare Brough Superior centre stand, it looks good but on these the feet are in front of the legs rather than behind, which means they hang down when the stand is up, which would put them too close to the ground on a Vincent I think, not such a problem on a rigid frame Brough.
Pictured from the primary drive side

P1000300.JPG

oexing

VOC Member
This type looks like functional for lifting the bike on stand,but not so helpful on soft ground it seems to me. Best to find your own design on your particular bike for stand height and all. For lean it is a matter of distance from street surface and width of feet , so far I cannot tell for Vincents what works for most. Maybe you have to move the stand pivot a bit more to the front of bike for getting the space. But then, no need to lift the bike higher than necessary so short legs can be allright then.

Vic

Chris Launders

VOC Member
I'm ordering a Hills-Conway center stand and making mods even before it arrives. Can someone tell me: the diameter of the vertical tubes: distance from the RFM pivot bolt to the Hills pivot bolt; is the stand pivot bolt in line with the RFM pivot bolt; where does the 'stop' hit, diameter of the pivot bolt, does it use a Nyloc style nut on one end. I know the Hills stand works but am in agreement the feet might be improved and possibly the stop, so I'm sketching, etc. I like the feet on this stand sent to me by a fellow member, Vic??
My stand which may not be a genuine Dave Hills but would be a copy if not has the pivot 2" behind the RFM pivot and 5" below and the tubing is 22mm od, can't get to where the stop is at present.