Seat Stays

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
What was the original finish on the seat stay parts FT17, FT111 and FT95? Looking forward to 4 correct answers.... This is specific to early Series B machines.

timetraveller

VOC Member
Well. for my two pen'orth, they were cadmium plated with the same finish as the footrest hangars etc. I will now don a crash hat and wait for the flack!!!

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
Looks like cadmium plated here in 1947....

47BRapides.jpg

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Stainless steel on early ones and the part numbers were stamped on each item up to engine number 55 as thats the one I've worked on in France for Yves Le'Luc, might even be later numbers, like early rocker covers they were stamped too ET 24 and that was off the top of my head ! "I must be getting a boring old fart". but the stamping was always so neat and even I noticed. Could have been done by a jig machine, as there are several stamp marks on castings too, the chain driven timing side of the Pat Wilson Trials Iron,(Grey Flash?!) as it was for competition, with magnesium G/box with inner cover being aluminium as it had to have a kickstart crank, the engine crank cases have other stampings by the oil pump housing perhaps David Bowen might know as Gordon & Vince didn't.??
bananaman

david bowen

Non-VOC Member
A-BCD picture early 1948 the guy with the bike Tony Summerskill a few weeks after this Tony was killed coming to work on his motor cycle I think it was a big port AJS or model 9 sunbeam, the letters Marcus queried could have been stamped on by the guy that built the engine they some times used to stamp there initials on it.

Last edited:

A-BCD

Non-VOC Member
My first Vincent, a 1950 Series C Rapide also had the part number stamped on the seat stays.

craig

VOC Member
What is the stamping on the seat stay? What exact character string is stamped? please post a picture. is there other stamping?
thanksSeatStaysMO22.jpg