Running in a new motor

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hello David, I love Tools, Got a lot of Snap-on, But never seen one of those, The last 26 years I worked for myself, So I was looking for EASY jobs, Not like when I was young and liked a challenge, ie Car auto gearboxes etc. Cheers Bill.

vincenttwin

VOC Member
On piston aircraft engines ,it's a normal test every year, image doing it on a big 3 bank radial engine , you have to have some one hold the prop or if you are not quite at TDC ,it will spin over as you add the air.
Cheers
Peter

davidd

VOC Member
On piston aircraft engines ,it's a normal test every year, image doing it on a big 3 bank radial engine , you have to have some one hold the prop or if you are not quite at TDC ,it will spin over as you add the air.
Cheers
Peter

On the racer I remove the pushrods for the test. The piston will go to BDC, but it means you do not have to hold the engine at TDC against the pressure of the compressor. I lost power at a race in Texas and when I did the test I had 60% leak down that was easily heard through the pipe. I found a shattered compression ring. Very quick fix and I was back in business.

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Back to the running in thread- several years ago a well known factory ( I think it was mz) built two identical motors, one was carefully run in, the other was taken to a race circuit, thrashed mercilessly, both nade the same h-p figures on the dyno afterwards! For my money, Vins have mostly rolling element bearings that do not require "running-in" the only bit to be concerned with is the pistons+rings. If they have not settled in within 500 miles they were not "right" to start with.