F: Frame Replacing RFM Fork lug FT9L or FT9R

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Scott did not use a jig. The lower tubes were from a long rfm and the upper tubes were from a short rfm. The pivot legs were sawn off at different heights, which is why there are two spacers used to hide the difference.

002 (2).JPG

This photo is just a mock-up. It was disassembled and the lower tubes were dechromed. Scott ran the seat fully sprung. The straight ears held number plates. The old axle forks are in the background. A torch was used to unbraze and braze.

David

Cyborg

VOC Member
I gather the RFM tubes have a rather thick wall, as in not all that delicate.

”Pepper Pot” I assume that is equivalent to the colonial rosebud. I normally try and use it outside where there is more room. Makes the neighbours skittish.

I really like the way that engine turned out Chris.

Chris Launders

VOC Member

”Pepper Pot” I assume that is equivalent to the colonial rosebud. I normally try and use it outside where there is more room. Makes the neighbours skittish.

The nozzle was something like this but decades old and a bit cruder.

1640798820427.png

Those are JAP DTZ crankcases, this is the bike at present, just waiting for spring to oil up and try with a test fuel tank.
P1010073.JPG

clevtrev

VOC Member

12 swg.

Shane998

Non-VOC Member
Neal Videan has these lugs I’m sure he could tell how to do it I know a mate has to do one I got him the last one Mike Breeding had of the side needed He plans to just heat it up and spin it off. After making a spacer for the axle ,but you also have the rear stand hole for an extra spacer, and the down tube bolts on so good positioning should be ok Then stand on end and let gravity take the brazing through Same method as retubing girder forks As an old panel beater ,my mate is a very good welder ,but he doesn’t consider it a very difficult job I have another friend who actually repaired the lug because it was the numbers side and he did not want to lose them good luck