Misc: Stands Prop Stand

1660bob

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Yep, me too-the VFR Honda (circa 1989) mod seems a great idea to me.I have mine waiting for eventual re-assebmly of the bike (sometime) cost me £20 delivered off Fleabay, I removed the switch fittings and filed off the ugly bits to produce a stand which will hopefully be unobtrusive and not out of place.Ill replace the ugly pivot bolt with a nice stainless one turned up with a head to match others on the bike, and enjoy the Honda technology without worrying about a loud and expensive CRASH disturbing my cuppa.Drilling an extra hole in the footrest plate is a small price to pay for peace of mind.Bob.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Yep, me too-the VFR Honda (circa 1989) mod seems a great idea to me.I have mine waiting for eventual re-assebmly of the bike (sometime) cost me £20 delivered off Fleabay, I removed the switch fittings and filed off the ugly bits to produce a stand which will hopefully be unobtrusive and not out of place.Ill replace the ugly pivot bolt with a nice stainless one turned up with a head to match others on the bike, and enjoy the Honda technology without worrying about a loud and expensive CRASH disturbing my cuppa.Drilling an extra hole in the footrest plate is a small price to pay for peace of mind.Bob.

Anyone got a good idea like this for an Open D?
Cheers, John

clevtrev

VOC Member
A simple way out to make the existing stand longer, is to drill a couple of 1.4" holes in the foot, and bolt a piece of alloy on.
That way if one needs to use the front stand to take the wheel out, simply unscrew and take off, replace after.

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
Derick, as you paid "the right money" you should be o-k! What I was reffering to is the cheap rubbish from the far east. I was offered a side stand for less than 20 quid, now go back and re-read my last post, then you will have a chance!

b'knighted

VOC Member
Anyone got a good idea like this for an Open D?
Cheers, John
Hi John,
Not owning an unfinished D, I can't be sure but think that you probably have the same engine and stand plates as the enclosed models. This would suggest that you have a tapped sidecar boss on the left where earlier bikes had to have a triangle bolted on.

Best part of ten years ago, having lain on the ground with the Knight on my left foot during a tired dismount, I bought a Honda VRF 400 NC24 stand (see ebay item 250612568758) and took it to the premises of West Country sidecars.
The nice man there screwed a lump of sidecar fitting into the boss as far as it would go. We scribed a horizontal centre line and then removed the fitting. A plate was welded across the end of the threaded fitting and two holes were drilled and tapped at the right pitch, and in line with our now hidden horizontal line, to centre the stand on the fitting.
At first there was a tendency for the weight of the bike to continue screwing the fitting in and it had been my intention to put a lock nut on the inside of the plate, but I never did and I have since seen people climb on my bike with it on the stand without it failing.

Dick Sherwin fitted the same model of stand in the same location by making a tubular insert to locate in the threaded hole and welding it behind one of the mounting holes in the stand top plate. He has a second spacer tube welded behind the other and uses two bolts through these to mount his stand.

I have fitted these stands to C twin and Comet and find that the stand is easy to flick down with a heel and the rubber foot is great for standing on while climbing on or off.

mercurycrest

VOC Member
Thanks, Ian.... I've become such a geriatric in the last few years, it's difficult to get off the bloody thing without help. My Dad could do hand stands at 80 and I've trouble falling out of bed just short of 70. This wasn't the way I had it planned!
Cheers, John

Albervin

VOC Member
I have the extended Michael Breeding prop stands on my "B" they stand the bike more upright therefore not as much pressure, load, on the stand. I also have the originals that will go with the bike if (when) sold. I have also had, on the "B", a Neil Videan side stand although it works well I didn't retain it.

Chris
Chris, how do the longer stands work when wanting to raise the front wheel? I had no problems with standard C stands on my B with a 20" front and it was still easy to rock the bike over centre on the rear stand and
engage the front stands (does that make sense?). With a 21" front the C stands still work but the angle can get alarming on a steep camber, hence the use of the Videan stand.

peterg

Non-VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

Especially on a C, the compromise made to a stock stand to make it practical for use as a front wheel lift limits its length and therefore its utility. That deployed stand in conjuction with the tire patches in contact with the ground form a triangle. With center of gravity and weight position in mind, attaching a block to the base of a stock stand while positioning the CG more over the wheel contact points is not as effective as raising the machine and moving the stand contact point outward and that's the luxury afforded with this very stock looking solution.

Not standing in defense of Micheal's products - doesn't need any but as a soft spoken engineering sort has not promoted them as aggressively as their quality would warrant - but after years of making Indian parts seeing more severe duty was glad to see him branch off into Vincent parts. I have his stands fitted to both my machines and you can see an explanation of that process here. Scroll down to Sidestand.

At any rate, to put a face with the name, he's the one to the rear in this pic and on that same rally here's a funnier one here ironically sidestand related.

clevtrev

VOC Member
Howdy chaps,

Especially on a C, the compromise made to a stock stand to make it practical for use as a front wheel lift limits its length and therefore its utility. That deployed stand in conjuction with the tire patches in contact with the ground form a triangle. With center of gravity and weight position in mind, attaching a block to the base of a stock stand while positioning the CG more over the wheel contact points is not as effective as raising the machine and moving the stand contact point outward and that's the luxury afforded with this very stock looking solution.

Not standing in defense of Micheal's products - doesn't need any but as a soft spoken engineering sort has not promoted them as aggressively as their quality would warrant - but after years of making Indian parts seeing more severe duty was glad to see him branch off into Vincent parts. I have his stands fitted to both my machines and you can see an explanation of that process here. Scroll down to Sidestand.

At any rate, to put a face with the name, he's the one to the rear in this pic and on that same rally here's a funnier one here ironically sidestand related.
Now show us a picture of the front propstand down, and the wheel being taken out.

Chrish

Non-VOC Member
"Chris, how do the longer stands work when wanting to raise the front wheel? I had no problems with standard C stands on my B with a 20" front and it was still easy to rock the bike over centre on the rear stand and
engage the front stands (does that make sense?). With a 21" front the C stands still work but the angle can get alarming on a steep camber, hence the use of the Videan stand. "

Alyn, the only time I had the longer stand down, to prop the front wheel (21"), was when I fitted them, just to see the action of them, they are only marginally longer. When you get them they have to be fettle to get them to lie straight, unobtrusive, beneath the engine and get the prop action correct. I also have the Dave Hills center stand which i use most of the time.
Chris