Photo Help Photo 0246 - Do You Recognise Someone or Something?

G

Graham Smith

If you recognise someone or something in this photograph, please comment below…

img-230203160103-0003.jpg

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Controversial one this. According to the Vincent factory records and the works order form it clearly states the colour of this bike was black. So was it actually painted blue by the Vincent factory or was it repainted by the dealership Indian Sales Corp. All I can go on is what the original Vincent factory build sheet for the bike actually says.

The bike was still around in the 1960's (letter from owner in database) but since then its disappeared so probably not survived.

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Does anyone know if "Egyptian Blue" was a colour offered by I.S.C. at the time ? Also, two or three years ago I was offered a Blue Shadow via.
a friend in the U.S. of A. By the time I got back to him it was sold. Never even saw a picture. Always wondered and still to this day. Things that
make you go Hmmmmm

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The blue color was reported as "Carlton blue" by the press. Egli owner Bill Frauenpiese owned the bike in the 60s. He allowed me to scan the photo above. Carlton blue was used by Auburn as a model color in the 1930s. Pat Manning has a blue brake plate he picked up over the years. Others have reported finding blue chassis parts.

I believe a small motorcycle shop ended up with the bike. It was on a test ride and involved in an accident that resulted in a death. the bike was disassembled and sold in pieces by the shop owner.

David