Parts Washer Fluid

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I decided that I can't live any longer without a Parts Washer to assist me with my HRD/Vincent restorations. So I have a shiny new one on the way (£200) - due in a couple of days.

So then I delved into the complex world of of Parts Washer Fluids. Back in the day, they used to be all 'solvent-based' (and probably not very environmentally friendly). However, the modern fluids have all manner of bio credentials and are 'water-based'. Manufacturers of new Parts Washers insist that only the modern fluids be used or risk significant problems with their equipment - not covered by warranty.

But here's the rub: The additives in the modern brew are likely to eat aluminium alloy castings starting within minutes! Many Fluid suppliers admit as much in their advertising - by highlighting the fact in red. (Less scrupulous suppliers forget to mention it...).

So I am hoping that someone out there in VOC-land has tread this path before me, found a workable solution, and can solve my dilemma?! Until then, I'm not going to risk my mucky/greasy old Series 'A' crankcases soaking in any of this modern brew... Bring back Trichloroethylene, all is forgiven!

Peter B
A_HRD

Alyson

VOC Member
Something I've not lived without for decades. Mine is older so probably not a problem for me using Solvent or Varsol. Either work great. I'm not aware of new pumps that may not work on these fluids. Aren't they just essentially an electric fuel pump in disguise ? I would think if the pump were to not work, one could simply stroll into the local auto parts store and buy a fuel pump, which should do the trick. Back in my day I was
working on Harleys so, umm, yes they were very greasy :D

LoneStar

VOC Member
I use kerosene ('paraffin' in the mother country). It comes in 5-gallon cans, "deodorized" for use with lanterns and such. It works well, not too volatile, or highly flammable. Lasts quite a while if your washer incorporates a filter - I add coffee filters to mine, to get out smaller particles.

It seems unlikely that most pumps would be attacked by kerosene, but I suppose it's possible. More likely some product liability lawyer on staff decided there would be less risk of a lawsuit by specifying water-based fluid.

Russell Kemp

VOC Member
I have been using this for years in my Sealey parts washer, Swarfega SJZ25L Jizer Degreaser. I use the water rinsible one.

vibrac

VOC Member
Parafin for me
Strange story: we had underfloor heating installed with a rubber pipe from monsanto red and a bit thicker than petrol pipe I got a spare foot length and fitted it as a swish hose on the end of the pump outlet in my washer . After 3 years the underfloor failed the water had we were told afected the pipes it was not just us other sites in Uk as well we all got compensation. That pipe may not like water but it lasted for 15 years with parafin

oexing

VOC Member
Have a look in car repair shops, they will have mineral based washers most likely. When dealing with fat grease and oil the water-based cleaners are just too slow and ineffective on that gunge. Get some non-smelly cleaner that does not evaporate like acetone. You want a slow cleaner but will dry even so, no oily rests in the end. So cerosine or paraffine is not my choice at home. The water based cleaners are great for cleaning non-oil dirt but can corrode alu and zinc like carbs.

Vic

oexing

VOC Member
. . . . but, but the smell ! And it does not dry in due time. Cheap it is though , I prefer the parts cleaner - mineral Teilereiniger in our country.

Vic