Misc: Everything Else O Ring chain, HD or not?

Tracey Tilley

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
If I order a "heavy duty" O ring chain for the twin will it foul on anything?
Decided to get an MOT for the first time in years and the drive chain needs replacing.
I know it is a Regina 520 1/4 x 3/8 O ring, but is it heavy duty?
Tempted to play safe and just order a standard O ring chain because our trip abroad is only a week away. If the heavy duty fouls on anything there's the hassle of trying to get a refund/replacement in time.
Thanks in advance.

davidd

VOC Member
I am surprised to see the 520 chain used because I thought the standard chain is 530. If I remember correctly, not all 530-size non-O-ring chains will fit on a Vincent twin. Only Lightnings and Flashes used 520 chains as it was and still is the strongest chain available and much lighter. When you add O-rings the strength goes down and the friction increases considerably. But, O-ring chains stay cleaner.

The 1/4" Vincent sprockets are not easily found. I know that many folks do run O-ring chains, so I will leave the answer to them.

David

Speedtwin

VOC Member
When I renewed the chain on the Rapide I ended up with a standard 520 chain of 107 links as the o ring chain which arrived from regina did not clear and would have required a drive sprocket change.
Similar did not have time to change the drive sprocket at that moment so got a heavy duty/gold non o ring standard.
Clear as mud
Al

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Tempted to play safe and just order a standard O ring chain because our trip abroad is only a week away.
For what it's worth, I put an O-ring (actually X-ring) chain on my 1928 Ariel when I used it on the Cannonball, so I wouldn't have to deal with any chain issues. Although I carried tools with me for removing the pressed-on master link if I had a flat tire, which luckily I didn't, once I was back home in my garage, removing the master link was more than those tools could handle. Because of the chain, had I had a flat on the Cannonball, there's no way I could have fixed it on the side of the road.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I have "re-ringed" around 100 used 530 sprockets (always checked for suitability first) with a 520 ring made from SAE 8620 case hardened, and also have had made rear sprockets in 46, 47 and 48 teeth, in SAE 4340 (equivalent) and had them salt bath nitride hardened. But I am on the West coast of Canada, At one time Peter Barker was doing some C/S sprockets but I haven't talked to him about that in a while..... Best thing ever done to my Vincent. The X ring chains runs around 20,000 miles before wearing out, and don't get a heavy duty one as the one with very heavy side plates can foul on the cases/G50 plate.

Tracey Tilley

VOC Member
So, this is the end result. I bought a DID 520 " X-ring" chain and it fits perfectly on my Rapide which has the 1/4 sprockets. Thanks for the input. Now let's do some European miles.:)
IMG_4058.jpg