New BT-H Magneto

davidd

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Someone just came in the shop with a new BT-H magneto that looks similar to the Lucas (I know it is a BT-H!), but for someone looking for a more original style ignition it does very well.

IMG_2260.JPG

http://bt-h.biz/

David

roy the mechanic

VOC Member
It appears they only do the circular one for twins. I was less than impressed with mine. the wiring comes out just in the right place to get trapped against the crankcase. Causing the front cylinder to have no sparks. Just what you want on a first start! But, give the guy a little slack, he moved the wire outlet round to nearer the bottom, works like "a charm" .

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
It appears they only do the circular one for twins. ........" .
The magneto pictured should fit without problem as it is virtually the same dimensionally as an original Lucas magneto. Maybe they are not being made to suit the 50º firing angle although I think I have seen one locally fitted to a Vincent twin.

davidd

VOC Member
The magneto pictured should fit without problem as it is virtually the same dimensionally as an original Lucas magneto. Maybe they are not being made to suit the 50º firing angle although I think I have seen one locally fitted to a Vincent twin.

Eddy,

I think that you are correct. The one pictured is for a Comet and I did not check the Twin status.

David

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Eddy,

I think that you are correct. The one pictured is for a Comet and I did not check the Twin status.

David
The BT-H version of the Lucas flange mount twin is available for a 50º Vincent twin and Peter tells me has supplied around half a dozen units. He said that most people prefer their round K2FRV unit as it is less expensive and is not particulary visible when the cowl is fitted. The unit I saw on a Vincent twin was an Egli so there was no cowl.