The Mighty Garage Nevada Road Trip - Part 3 of 4

Bill Thomas

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I could ride one once Mike !, Not anymore :) .

Attachments

• IMG_20201203_083123 (4).jpg
    IMG_20201203_083123 (4).jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 18

Mike T

VOC Member
I didn't discern a 'twitter' from the exhaust, maybe not an 'original' silencer or probably my failing hearing.:rolleyes:
Thanks Ed, you're right. I don't think it had that twitter sound. No sure if that is due to the silencer or a GP carb or both? Best wishes

BigEd

VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Thanks Ed, you're right. I don't think it had that twitter sound. No sure if that is due to the silencer or a GP carb or both? Best wishes
Dear Mike,
I bought a B.S.A. Clubmans Goldie 55 years ago. I dreamt of owning one and due to what were in some respects unusual circumstances I became the owner of one. The unfortunate circumstances were a fractured skull, two broken wrists and a written-off BSA 250 after a head-on collision with a car. (Not my fault, the other party was driving his car the wrong way in a one-way street.) Once I recovered I had no bike but was loaned the money to buy a local Goldstar that was for sale. The genuine silencer and correct cams created the 'twitter' on the overrun due to the long valve overlap and the megaphone characteristics of the silencer. It was a great bike to own in my teens, performance with the right looks and the right sound. Happy days. The clip-on handlebars and rear sets footrests were OK back then but nowadays the slight forward lean like the Vincent straight bars are easier on the wrists and is my preferred riding stance.
I enjoy your videos and am pleased to see that like myself you are getting some riding in because you can. A crap damp day here in the UK today but I, with my wife and my brother (all of us passed the first flush of youth) still went for a planned ride; when you can while you still can.:)
P.S. Just remembered that I dismantled a scrap clubman silencer, measured it up and made a twittering stainless copy. I loaned it to someone who wanted to try it on his Velocette Thruxton. I never saw it again. (Not all Velocette owners are like that.;))