Misc: Everything Else MIller Stop Tail light

Chris.R

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi
I have a need for a round backplate for my miller rear light has anyone got a spare or can give me a template or dimensions so I can make one please.

Chris

vibrac

VOC Member
Chinese copies are under £10 on evil bay, I am surprised they have not got the indented stamp and the medallion added yet, ( Give them a few more weeks ) but perhaps Trump has banned that import as well :cool:

Chris.R

VOC Member
I have one of those Chinese made LED lights but they do not come with the right backplate. The one Goffy does is much brighter I would recommend that one it has no backplate at all if I cannot get one any other way I will if I have the diameter cut and make one myself.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Chris,

Go in to your local Laser Cutters with a dimensioned sketch; they'll almost certainly make one for you. Or get a few made (cheaper unit price) and offer them on here.

If it's the plate I'm thinking of, you might need to do your own countersinking of holes...

Peter B

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
20180811_202649.jpg
20180811_202212.jpg
20180811_202554.jpg

20180811_202649.jpg

Chris.R

VOC Member
Thanks Stevee
Failing getting the real thing the drawings and dimensions will help greatly. The plan is to cut out of sheet steel with hole saws unless there is a better way.
Chris

A_HRD

VOC Member
OK, I'm back home now and I have dug out my unrestored original Miller Tail-light and my very old repro that I bought from Domiracer in the USA nearly 2 decades ago.

Here are the backplate measurements (original first, Domiracer second):
Thickness: 1/16th, 1/16th.
OD: 2-1/2", 2-1/2".
ID: 1-7/64", 1-7/64".
6 hole PCD: 2-1/8", 2-1/8".
6 hole Dia: 5/32", 5/32".
2 hole PCD: 1-1/2", 1-1/2".
2 hole Dia: 3/16, 5mm.

Two things (in red) stand out:

1. The ID in the "MSVH Y3" excellent photo's above is quoted as 1-1/16". I would recommend the original 1-7/64" as this gives almost 50 thou greater clearance for the 2 x barrel-terminals on the rear - which are of a larger dia on the repro variants. Electrical short circuits not wanted here!

2. The 2 inner holes have been drilled by Domiracer to take 5mm screws, which at approx 10 thou dia bigger is of no real consequence. (Even Concours Judges wouldn't know :cool:o_O ).

P1080082 3.jpg

As an aside, I think the thick paper gasket on the original lamp is a previous owner's attempt to help prevent vibration blowing the tungsten filament bulbs...!

Hope this is helpful Chris,

Peter B

Chris.R

VOC Member
It does help Peter I think I have enough info now to make one or more. I have no pretentions to make my 1954 Comet anything more than an honest ridable machine, (not Concours) The old lady suffered being in a museum for thirty years, I am now resurrecting her for the road.

Chris R