Misc: Ignition Lucas Rita spares

fogrider

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
My Boyer Bransden Micro power blue box, the triggering unit, has packed up. I'm not inclined to spend any more money on Boyer stuff and I have a good Lucas Rita AB11 amplifier and coils. What I need is a drive body and stator plate , it must be worth asking - anyone replaced Lucas Rita with the latest stuff and is prepared to part with the redundant Rita ?
Alternative is ; have a mag re-built at huge expense, Tri-spark at huge expense, or BTH at even more expense !
Just need a Rita (or Moira ) drive body complete to be back on the road. Where mine went, I've no idea. It's long gone !
Regards all,
Terry.

brian gains

VOC Member
Could try Rex's SpeedShop but they may only rebuild electronic components and not supply 'mechanical' items.
I paid a couple of hundred for a mag' rebuild and that was ten years ago, but ask around and you may find reputable one man band relatively cheap. Watch out though, all shops seem to get inundated once the season starts and owners realise mag' is phut !.
If it's suspected duff condenser you can always go BrightSpark replacement route, used it on a BSA mag/dyno setup and apart from making up bearing puller tool was quite straight forward and they have good tech' back up.
There is another current thread where a member was singing the praises of Tri Spark set up that he used to replace RITA set up {I think?} may be worth following that one up.

vibrac

VOC Member
Series D and Norton singles have distributor housing with 3 hole mountings and there are many many old distributors that fit them
Marcus and I just made up a coil ignition distributor for the chain cam Trials Comet from a model 50 housing and an old car distributor that will have points but it would take an electronic plate.
I have a Rita on a preunit Triumph and that is 3 hole fixing....

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I wonder if the distributors on late Velo Thruxtons or early Commandos would be good, too? Although probably as rare as Series D.

fogrider

VOC Member
Many thanks for the above very prompt responses. A.O. has dispensed with Lucas Rita and Rex's speed shop have no bodies, which is the stumbling block . I'm sure I saw a body made new by Wassel on ebay a few years ago. Will have a look into who can provide just a body, ( preferably in the UK ). In the meantime I do have a twin points body with all the drive gear, might make a system out of that until a Rita body turns up.
Have'nt tried Hoppy bikes yet, next job !
Regards all....

fogrider

VOC Member
Last night I checked out the twin points system I had on a shelf. It's a Bonneville points plate re-done for 50 degree firing - very nicely too ( could'nt have been me ! ). It tested out 155 and 205 , and has the drive bits too. I believe it should trigger a single twin outlet coil OK, so that's the way I'm going since my son has such a coil spare. My Rita AB11 amplifier is donkeys years old and the latest upgrade some £72 + +.
Thanks all for the interest, looks like I may be OK , - so far............
Terry.