Photo of the Day John Edgar / Rollie Free Prototype Black Lightning I

G

Graham Smith

The late John Edgar astride the JEL Vincent H.R.D. on 8th September 1948. Image courtesy William Edgar Archive. Visit:
John Edgar on JEL Vincent HRD-8Sept1948-WilliamEdgarArchive.jpg

William Edgar

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
@Graham Smith - This photo placement looks great and it works perfectly. I am so very pleased to see it on the VOC's Forum Website - I'm sure my father would have been pleased also.

He and I rode two-up many times with the dual saddle on his JEL, after Rollie Free made the record runs with it at Bonneville and detuned (fuel changed from alcohol to a 50:50 blend of aviation gasoline and Benzol) for street riding, as well as having my own indelible solo rides on this fabulous Vincent.

There will be more JEL images to come to the VOC Forum Website from my William Edgar Archive.

Thank you, and with all best wishes.

William Edgar

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
Herb Harris told me that the rear fender stays were modified Royal Enfield parts, based on seeing photos like this, and recognizing the lugs on the end near the fender.

TouringGodet

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
VOC Forum Administrator
VOC Forum Moderator
It is interesting to note that the first production Lightning, 1C/1320, in those photos from the Earl’s Court show, it has the street bike version of the chain adjusters, while the JEL here has the Lightning specific version of the adjuster.