PD: Primary Drive INVERTED TOOTH CHAINS

Jerry161

Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
See
http://www.renoldtoothchain.com/media/677689/Drive_Tooth_Chain_EN_0405.pdf
if you don't know what that is.
I seem to recall one of the Vincent Works worthies singing the praises of this sort of chain.
Paul Richardson or Ted Davies?

Modern bikes such as HONDA seem to use this sort of chain for primary drive.

Has anyone tried to use an inverted tooth chain on a Vincent Twin, to replace the standard triplex roller chain?
If so, was it a success or not?

Robert Watson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Silent chains have been around for a long time and commonly used for cam chains in the automotive world. Morse chain made a unique designed one called a Hy-Vo chain which transmitted considerably more HP. they were used on the front wheel drive Olds Toranado amongst others to transfer from the engine to the transmission with great success.
Max's Twin engined liner used them to connect the engines and to connect to the transmission but in the end he took them out and went with a gear drive. I think the power pulses of the engines did them in.

I have sold them (and some very large ones) in industry for several hundred Hp electric and diesel engines, but they like a nice even load and pressure lubrication.
I think to make one substantial enough to deal with a Vincent twins power characteristics it would have to be quite a big size, The belts are more forgiving and way cheaper and easier to replace.

And just for fun

http://www.voc.uk.com/net/docs/1.3/1.3-361-12.pdf

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
We had them in crane power packs 40 years ago, I only knew them as hydro drives, very heavy loads are capable, even saw one inside a Vincent timing cover, I was very interested in it as I have a chain driven cam and magneto drive in a special Grey Flash Trials machine (done by the Stevenage works) for Pat Wilson of Southampton (Lawton & Wilson). Primary or secondary drives it could reduce the width by at least a half when you consider the number of shear points with all those links next to one another.
How much more do you know about them Jerry 161 as very interested. Do you like them Mr Speet ?
bananaman.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
OK this has NOTHING to do with Vincents but there are a couple of Hy-Vo stories I can recall as standouts.

The first was a large wood chipper in a sawmill with I think a 300 hp electric motor driving it connected by said chain. As you can imagine it was a big one several inches wide and I think 1 1/2 in pitch. After installation which included a 1/4 thick hi tensile steel enclosing case with a 40 gal oil system pumping directly into the chain as it meshed the drive sprocket. On startup I was told by the Mill super that one could not even hear anything run in the whole mill for the scream coming from the chipper drive. Needless to say this alarmed us considerably. We were assured all was done to spec, so being Rocol (Moly disulphide oil additives) distributors we sent 4 gallons to be add to the oil to see what result that would give. Our engineer was on the first ferry to Vancouver Island to inspect and listen. When he arrived at the mill the chipper was running and an ear on the chain case could detect a slightly discernible hum. Astounded by the effectiveness of the Rocol he was ready to get a big sales story initiated. It was then the very sheepish mill wright admitted that when they went to drain 4 gallons of oil to add the Rocol, it turned out that it had been filled with hydraulic fluid.

The second one was on a small ferry that crossed the Fraser river several miles upstream from Vancouver. The local Caterpillar dealer (Finning Tractor, the largest Cat dealer in the world) was taking out 2 240 hp Cat diesels and replacing them with a pair of 360 hp units. They just reused the existing Hy-Vo drives. When the first failure occurred the captain naturally had to rely a little harder on the other engine, and it of course immediately did the same thing, so now we have a small ferry adrift in the river, fortunately a tug boat was nearby and rescued the whole plot from disaster. Now comes the fun bit. Finning orders from me two new complete drives on a big rush which means they wanted them in the something less than 6-8 weeks that a standard order took, plus they wanted lengths of chain on a airplane from the factory in Ithaca NY. They have a tug on standby for the 18 hours a day that the ferry is running, so this is not a cheap problem. Any way over the next 6 weeks they hound me for the chain and sprockets and dutifully it all arrives in the normal time it took for these special order chain and sprockets. If I ever hear the word expedite again I tend to loose my temper!
Anyway a day or so after they are delivered my phone doesn't ring but starts glowing red as I answer it. It is the buyer from Finning informing me that I am amongst the lowest of the low life that exists on this planet and how, knowing what a pressure they were under could I have possibly ordered the sprockets with the wrong bore sizes, and that there was a special place in hell for morons like me. All I could do was tell him I would check all the paper and check the factory build sheets and see what could be done. So out comes the paperwork, There purchase order, My order with Morse the Morse confirmations and shipping papers, and they all agreed on the bore sizes. Just as I am about to pick up the phone and call the man, his boss calls me and apologizes profusely as it seems they had ordered them incorrectly and that they would look after the problem. And the invoice was paid on time.

Morse Hy-Vo drives they work really well but What a pain!

John Cone

VOC Member
The Honda CX500 was the first motorcycle to use a Hy-Vo link chain to drive the camshaft but suffered badly in the beginning because of the tensioner failure although my CX has 150,000 on the clock since it was recalled.