E: Engine Interesting big end...

oexing

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
For big end use NO standard needle bearing cage is suitable as there is this high centrifugal force effect on the cage at the half stroke position out on the crank web. When looking at the photos in the Nadella PDF these cages may seem OK, very similar in design to the types in my photos. But then , I got a batch of the INA copies so will never need any more. But may be willing to give some away . . .

Vic
HF spindle grinding laser weld :
P1050487.JPG
P1050495.JPG

royrobertson

VOC Member
Hi Vic, I was going to use the same milling process for my main-shafts until I found the Spline cutter. How do you do the mating internal splines? Wire eroding? The originals would have been broached I think.
Over here Bob Newby supplies various belt pulley sizes to fit the standard Vincent main-shaft and the fit is perfect.
At the same second-hand tool shop (still going strong) I found over the years, my little bench cylindrical grinder, a small indexing rotary table, a mill/drill and a nine sixteenth of an inch LH x 20 tap which is the thread in BSA Gold Star (and maybe other) fork legs.
Your workshop looks really super and makes mine look what it is, a garage crammed with small old second machines. However with my toolmaker training I get by, it just takes longer. There was a reason why silver plated cages on needle roller bearings was good, I just don't remember what it is. Maybe someone knows.
Running on R40 oil they have certainly done well with just the Vincent Twin Start oil pump to push the oil around. Like you I don't stick to Imperial sizes where Metric suits the application better. Some of the titanium nuts I have made have imperial threads but smaller metric hexagons. A weight saving exercise. All the crankcase and cylinder studs are also titanium, as are many other parts.
Loved the Photos!
Cheers Roy

timetraveller

VOC Member
For those who do not know Roy personally it should be noted that he is not a wealthy man, but he is determined. He could not afford to buy titanium rod or bar to make his own parts but someone gave him a sheet of titanium plate. He cut, milled and turned many of his nuts and bolts out of that plate. A serious amount of work. Later on someone gave him some titanium bar so he could make some of the longer parts.

royrobertson

VOC Member
Please find attached photos of my little cylindrical grinder. Disregard the motors as they were missing when purchased and I "cobbled up" the spindle and work-piece drives with some old Hoover motors.
Its obviously a manufactured item and has a multitude of features but there is no internal grinding facility.
Anybody recognise who made it?
I did actually buy some titanium rod for the cylinder and crankcase studs for my racer but most of it came as timetraveller said. I found it hacksawed well but my little bandsaw would not touch it.

Attachments

• 100_0078.JPG
    100_0078.JPG
    379.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 100_0079.JPG
    100_0079.JPG
    405 KB · Views: 47