Insurance problems for road racing,trials and classic vintage veteran events in Ireland.

Speedtwin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Recent problems with events insurance rates going through the roof has put our beloved events in jeopardy.
MCUI are having big problems with hikes in rates.

On a positive note
The NW 200 is now set to go with a private racing benefactor paying the extra 200k premium required to run the international motorcycle road racing event.
Live coverage again this year on the BBC I player.

Knock ons from the ongoing insurance problems have rocked both classic events and the road racing and national trials events.
Very worrying as we could lose some of our legendary road races.
Various events in the vintage vetran calender maybe affected.

On a positive note.

The classic vintage and veteran runs/events in Northern Ireland are all still good given their affiliation with the VMCC the Ulster section has some brilliant events coming up this summer.
These events are very popular with riders coming from all over the world.
If you have not ridden the stunning roads in the Mournes or the famous Antrim Coast road here is a chance to enjoy some craic.

The Antrim Coast Event will have a pre event in the week leading up to the main event giving riders the opportunity to spend a week riding the Down Coast and then onto the famous Antrim Coast for the weekend.
Some of the most stunning roads and scenery.

VMCC Northern Ireland Section for info.
18th to the 20th June Co Down.
23rd to 25th June Antrim Coast.

Not sure how our friends in the Republic are fairing any information would be great.
Al

vibrac

VOC Member
I was a great fan of Maggie Thatcher till she allowed Lawyers to advertise- before that ruling all they had was a brass plate on the door
At very least now .gov could stop no win no fee (they wont cause half ,gov are lawyers)
Make no mistake its the claims culture that has caused this
whatever happened to the power behind "You attend this motorsports event at your own risk" etc etc

ClassicBiker

VOC Member
1: Victim Culture, Someone somewhere is keeping you down, for some reason. That is why you can't get ahead or succeed.
2: Denial that one is responsible for one's own actions.
3: Ignorance of the fact that high risk activities are called that for a reason. Occasionally things go south not through negligence or malfeasance, but luck of the draw. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
4: Way, Way to many lawyers chasing a finite number of cases. Convincing plaintiffs they've viable lawsuit and someone other than themselves or bad luck is to blame.

It doesn't matter to me that lawyers or law firms advertise their services. What is wrong is when they bring a suit they name everyone and their brother, forcing all and sundry to defend themselves whether or not they are culpable. Which does not necessarily result in those responsible being held to account. Potential those with no responsibility for any wrong doing go broke defending themselves and potentially again those with little to no responsibility but deep pockets paying out.
When I first became a dive master it was suggested to me, when on dive trip vacation to never ever let the dive masters at the destination or divers you did personally know that you are a dive master. The reason being that if a dive accident occurred all dive masters would likely be named in the suit whether they were involved in the accident or not.
Finally I cannot understand how if you are not criminally responsible in something how you can be civilly responsible.

Magnetoman

VOC Member
Not sure how our friends in the Republic are fairing any information would be great.
Count the following as rumor, not fact, until/if it is confirmed, but I spoke with someone in Dublin today who said he was just told the Irish Rally at the end of August is on thanks to finding insurance through a car club. However, no official confirmation as yet from the Rally organizers, so this "information" is to be taken with a grain of salt for now.

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Some more good news Cookstown 100 is on and thanks to a crowdfunding effort by fans the season looks to be saved.
Trials are go short circuits are go and each of the road races look to be on.
I have also heard that the Irish National will go ahead.
Hoping to be there on a P.
Al