Ignition timing Comet 51

Ragnar

New Forum User
VOC Member
I need to get the timing right on my Comet 51 but there are several marks on the cam so I need advise

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
are you confusing valve timing with ignition timing?
Marks on cams are irrelevant to ignition timing (they are in fact regarded as irrelevant to valve timing by many people but that's another story often discussed here[ see search]) assuming you mean ignition timing you only need a timing disc rotating on the crankshaft via the quill hole and a means of determining TDC most of the vincent books will take you through the procedure the only point of contention is what figure to use for full advance the consensus would indicate less than the degrees BTDC indicated by many books dating from a period when we had real petrol. perusal of this forum will indicate many figures I will start the ball rolling with 35 BTDC

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
25 degrees BTDC with twin spark and 9.5 : 1 compression ratio, quite a difference, also use less advance range, manual ignition control is very useful.
bananaman

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Now we have clarified you are talking cam timing just put
"What's the best reference for setting up the timing chest and valve timing" in the search box and read what david d has written
or "equal lift " or "cam timing" its all here if you search it out

NB the advice in this forum is ready for a good indexing system:cool: