How good is a good Burman box?

dave g6xnc

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
For racing fit an AMC Norton box, the Matchless and AJS boxes are the same but have different case lugs and the Norton fits easist, brilliant gear box very strong and simple to have apart. I used the Norton clutch running dry with three plates and a Manx type home made primary chain oiler. Also cut the carrier down the half width as only three plates in use for lightness, good old days!!.

Howard

VOC Member
Only had mine 3 months, but I'm quite impressed with it, and I'm running a standard clutch. It's not as slick as a modern box, and I only use it on the road, but open road or heavy traffic, it's perfectly adequate.

H

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
Of course a Newby belt drive and clutch will also improve things but its a bit like putting an alloy tank rearsets and clipons on a side valve BSA

BUT there is very little price difference between a Conway Honda conversion kit and a Newby set up.
M

vibrac

VOC Member
But remember the Newby set up runs DRY so you MUST ensure there is no oil ingress thru the main bearing. Martyn
Always my first mod with a new Comet anyway my belt drive housings are well 'ventilated' on the lower side