Misc: Electrical (General) Headlight switch wiring

jim burgess

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Hi All,
The wiring diagram in Richardson shows the headlight switch and connections made. Does anybody know if this is viewed on the page from below or above? Once all connections are made, seen from below, this gives a parking light with no taillight, correct? I am sure that I have wired this switch on a past bike that gave a combination parking light and tail light and then a second switch position to give headlight and taillight. But age and decrepitude leave me wondering how...
I am sure I can work it out but any advice gratefully received? Is there a diagram that gives the internal switch connections?
Cheers
jim

lee_812d

VOC Member
I may have a different switch but on mine there is a connection between the centre of the switch and the speedo/taillight which means once the "ball" contacts the power terminal that item is always on. Then it can be either in the parking position, or main beam position. Mine is wired different to the book to facilitate this - it goes speedo/tail, parking, power, main; the off position is when the ball is between speedo and parking (power not connected).

jim burgess

VOC Member
Thank you for this Lee. I suppose it would be useful to know if yours is a Miller 4 position switch, which it seems to be by the description of your connectors. I think I have managed to work out the connections on my switch and the legal requirements in force when originally made hence the need for a front parking light only. It would still be useful to know if all the drawings in all the books are seen from above or below and, the orientation in the headlight. If, big if, the drawings follow the actual layout in the headlamp shell i.e. the ammeter tends to be drawn above the switch, then position number 8 would be on the port side of the bike towards the rear. Anybody able to confirm? Lee, why does your name come up in pink?
many thanks
Jim

lee_812d

VOC Member
Mine is not the original headlight or switch, it is a 3 position switch. There are four terminal posts and the knob turns the centre such that a ball contact moves between the four posts giving the 3 positions, and thus connects a pair together in each position. The centre is connected to the ball and also is connected to the terminal with the speedo/taillight so when the ball contacts the power terminal (in parking light or main light positions) the speedo/taillight is always on as well.
Sorry I can't help with the diagrams, or layouts of the original things.
Out of interest, does your switch have any internal connections etc not shown on those diagrams (because otherwise I can't see how the diagram works)? Or is that the question?
I assume my name is pink because it is the colour chosen for the letter L - I didn't set it that way.

vibrac

VOC Member
I do not have a wiring diagram to hand but when I did have his problem I remember that the terminals were numbered on the diagram and when I looked closely at the switch the corresponding numbers were engraved on the bakerlite body

jim burgess

VOC Member
Hi Lee,
I worked out the connections, the centre pillar has a short length of brass strip (a wiper) which turns radially when you turn the knob. This allows up to 3 connector blocks to be connected via the wiper strip.
So power comes into connector 6.
Charge position connects it to 5, so 5+6 this gives a park light only, so the pilot bulb in the headlight.
H position connects it to 5+6+7, this adds the speedo bulb and tail light to the pilot bulb.
L position moves the wiper to connect 6+7+8 which disconnects the pilot light and adds in the feed to the dipswitch hence you get a headlight.
Traa laaa!
So I think this is how it is supposed to work, but I'm just not sure how the diagram in the books relates to the real world with regard to how you view it all. Tis a bit academic as I can make it work ok as as per the book, it's just that I would like to get the pilot bulb and taillight on the first turn of the switch rather than the third. I've done it before but I'm blowed if I can remember how, and I'm really most vexed about this due to concerns of approaching senility.... Approaching? "The senility now arriving on platform 1...."

Vibrac,
Thank you for that tip, I will dig out the magnifying glass and intense light beam.
Cheers All
jim

vibrac

VOC Member
You must have an original switch those made by Bob Culver omit the charge post connections
thus you get 3 positions
1.off
2.park and rear (romin in the glomin) or saving your wilting battery mode
3.headlight and rear
all the clever stuff is to keep the rear alight without having head and pilot on at the same time :)

jim burgess

VOC Member
Hi Vibrac,
I had a good close look and can't see anything like numbers on the bakerlite. But it is all buried deep in the shell so still not easy to see.
Cheers
jim

vibrac

VOC Member
I looked but I have no spare switch in my racks so cant photo one for you

jim burgess

VOC Member
I now have this all sorted to my satisfaction and have learned to live with the fact the the first position gives just a front parking light as per 1951 regulations and my MOT man did not object... so job's a goodun.
Cheers
jim