H: Hubs, Wheels and Tyres H23 Speedo Gear

Alyson

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
So, mounted a really nice set of Prince drums to my 20" wheel and it's time to set the H23 in place. Is there a right/wrong way to do this ? Just hammer
punch it in place ? It's going onto a nice, used, wheel assembly I've been saving for this moment in time. Warm up the hub prior to punching or do it cold ?
Again, thanks in advance, Alyson

bmetcalf

VOC Member
Warming the hub would expand it, not what you want. I think I used a 2 or 3" pipe nipple to tap mine on, maybe not really needed. I think it is flush, but haven't looked lately.

Robert Watson

VOC Member
I recall just tapping them into place, if they feel a bit loose going on, a drop of loctite wouldn't go amiss, plus, although others will no doubt tell horror stories, I have never heard of one coming loose!

Alyson

VOC Member
Thank You Bruce, Thank You Robert. The H23 was tight to go on the hub, so I heated the H23 slightly and tapped it on. Nice fit. I'll grab a punch and stake the ring gear in place.

Black Flash

VOC Member
Heat the ring on the oven plate till the grease on the rings starts smoking. Using pliers drop it on the machined hub flange, cool it down with a wet rag to stop the wheel bearing grease turn runny, job done.