Ft 170

Shanghai

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
In relation to sidecar mounting.
The Riders Handbook (p5 latest edition) mentions that "The fourth point is obtained by bolting a bracket part FT170 to the pillion footrest bracket".
The "Spares List" has FT170 listed, however there is nothing in the drawings.
Neither is FT170 offered by the VOC spares company.
Can anyone help me with a photo/drawing/description of part FT170?
Any information would be appreciated
Tony

b'knighted

VOC Member
Without looking it up I would assume that it is the triangular forging as shown in the photo for UK ebay item 190537781655 - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/sidecar-fitti...55?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2c5cefd197
It bolts outboard of the pillion plate using the front two bolts/ studs that hold the pillion plate and has an extra nit and bolt at its back corner. It has a tapped hole and the one in the picture appears to have a British style ball socket with external thread.
I don't recognise the part number as it is generally just called a sidecar triangle.

Cheers,

deejay499

VOC Member
FT 170 is the correct number, usually stamped on the rear side, though I have seen some without the number. Good luck.

ET43

Non-VOC Member
The dimensions of the base of the FT170 can be worked out by looking at your pillion plates. The triangle has three holes in it, 1, the swing arm spindle, 2, the bottom forward hole of the pillion plate, and 3, the hole in the middle of the pillion plate. The last two are 3/8". The conical centre is usually tapped 3/4 x 20tpi cycle thread, but I have seen items specifically for Steib, 18 x 1.5mm pitch. The conical portion is scarfed away to clear the swing arm nut. Somne had the part number on them.some did not. Some were cast in bronze, but most were a ?? stamping. Cheers, ET43