FF: Forks Front hub and axle

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
Could someone please advise on the length of the front hollow axle and hub. Preferably in mm. Thanks. It appears the both on my Shadow have been "trimmed" for some reason.

timetraveller

VOC Member
I only have a steel hollow axle that I can get at to measure. The over all length of that is 6.006" or 152.57 mm. My guess is that they should be a nominal 6".

davidd

VOC Member
The Girdraulic legs are about 6" apart. They tend to vary a little, but 6" should work.

They can be made of aluminum, as many know. If used with the Lightning plates you don't need threads for the nuts.
DSCN0942.JPG

David

clevtrev

VOC Member
Be sure, when building the wheel/brake assembly, to get the overall width exactly the same as the distance between the fork blades, otherwise tightening the wheel spindle will end load the bushes in the lower link causing suspension stiffness. Cheers, Stu.
You will have to do that by adjusting the nut thickness, or adding shims. Or possibly both.

Albervin

VOC Member
I also need to make sure there is a bit of pressure on the Nilos bearing seals. I need more shims!

Martyn Goodwin

Non-VOC Member
I also need to make sure there is a bit of pressure on the Nilos bearing seals. I need more shims!
those Nilos only need the slightest pressure when brand new to ensure they create the labyrinth seal. Once that groove is worn into the bearing face, then as long as they are a snug fit no pressure is required