fibre glass tanks

stumpy lord

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
HI,
is their any body out there who would be interested in purchasing a new large fibre glass fuel tank? Roger my son and I are about to have some Phil Primmer type tanks made, to replace the ones we have on our machines that have sucumbed to the dreaded ethanel syndrum. these tanks will be manufactured from Crystick 199 PA resin which is an isophalic polyester resin that is recommended for aircraft or fuel tank manufacture. The tanks will be flow coated inside with a special ethanel proof coating before any petrol is put into the tanks , there by giving additional porotection to the Crystick 199 pa resin that has been used in the lay up.
regards ,
stumpy lord.

len.c

Non-VOC Member
Hi stumpy lord, is it possible to purchase the Ethanol proof coating seperately ,as a safeguard ,to use in a steel tank.If not does anybody know of a proven addative? just to cure my Ethanol blues,Why do we tolerate all these loons who are hell bent on spoiling our hobbies (there I'm off again)

ET43

Non-VOC Member
Hi All,
Tank Sealers. To name a few, Red Cote ? red coat, Caswell, Tank Cure, POR 15, this might not be any good in a grp tank. Restom Tank Cure, Petseal, (but do your research here,) Flexible aircraft fuel tank sealant. Some American sites have said that Kreem is being eaten by ethanol, so please do not come back to me if the bottom falls out of your GRP tank. The information is all out there if anyone cares to look. Most of these treatments can be removed, but the chemical that does this is very corrosive. and will probably ruin any paint job. Glyn Baxter wrote an article in MPH which also mention some tank sealers. For what it is worth, I still have a mould for a standard floor pan shaped tank which holds 19.33 litres with a large cut away for the carb. I also have a plug for a D tank which needs a mould made from it. Any funds raised will go towards the escalating costs of the blooming trike!!
Thank you. Phil Primmer.

timetraveller

VOC Member
As the person who will be making the tanks for Norman and Roger I can tell you that this is a minefield. The Crystic resin is certainly the correct resin, the problem is what, if anything, to put inside it. I spent a couple of hours yesterday morning Googling around in order to check which, if any of the tank liners had been used with long term success with GRP. It makes very sobering reading. At one stage I ended up reading stuff which had been published on this Forum from some time ago where people were extolling the virtues of various sealers only to have the whole lot fail in about a year. As so much in life it pays to do it right, rather than to do it quickly, and we have to be sure that if any tank liner is used it is going to stand up to 15% ethanol. The other thing with the resin is that it has to be cured at slowly increasing temperatures up to the maximum temperature it will experience in use. This curing process can take days! Anyone know what the temperature is at the bottom of a petrol tank above a very hot Vincent engine in slow moving traffic in some of the hotter parts of the world? If you, or a friend, is a supplier of tank liner material and are prepared to guarantee that it will not delaminate of otherwise fail for at least 10 years then please let me know.

stumpy lord

Non-VOC Member
Hi,
At the moment I am awaiting a price from the laminators, when I get that I will be able to come up with a price. the tanks have a capacity of about twenty two to twenty three liters, and will come with a standard type fuel tank cap.
norm.

clevtrev

VOC Member

Albervin

VOC Member
What about a "bladder" inner? Similar to what they use with the exotic F1 fuels or AA/FD dragsters. Don't know really just throwing an idea around. The old sealer in my "A" tank is peeling and looks like mica or shellac. I am considering the use of thinners to get rid of it and then use POR15 as a new liner. The only other alternative to to de-solder the whole tank and that could prove a nightmare.

davidd

VOC Member
Albervin,

I looked into fuel cells, but they are not as long lived as you would think. It can be done, but many of theses cells are replaced rather routinely and the I think the best you can expect is ten years. Additionally, you lose a surprising percentage of the fuel capacity, which has never been excessive.

David