Ewarts Petrol Tap Filters

A_HRD

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I'm also working on another item for the Shadow restoration. I have rescued a couple of nice original Ewarts dull-chromed push-pull petrol-taps that have been lurking in a box for a few decades. The only problem is that the fine mesh gauze filter on one is torn - and the other is non-existent.

I have been able to find some very fine copper mesh lurking in the same box, and I have supplies of soldering irons, propane torches, flux and solder. But do I need to have the taps unplated first (?) because I am getting nowhere trying to make the little filters stay attached to the taps!!!

Any tips would be really welcome. But please don't suggest I abandon the Ewarts taps and use up-market replacements or in-line filters; I'm not up for that with this particular project.... Thanks in anticipation...

Peter B
Bristol, UK.

1660bob

VOC Member
Peter, I assume you are trying to solder the meshes in place as per original?I would not remove the plating as such, I would clean out the socket itself back to bare brass, perhaps with a suitable drill bit to sweep away all old mesh/debris/plating and when clean and bright, tin the socket fully-(gently and slowly,small flame on the body so as not to blue the chrome)If you can manage this OK then offer up the mesh also previously tinned and gently heat the tap body to sweat the mesh in. The mesh is probably best tinned with a small electric soldering iron as it is so fine as to oxidise quickly if a flame of any size gets near, that`s how I`d attempt it, Bob.

Marcus Bowden

VOC Hon. Overseas Representative
VOC Member
Peter my handsome, presumably you've made the filter tubes, do as Bob says and clean inside with drill, use Araldite original smeared on both surfaces and slide in, try taking it out in 24 hours !! they won't move just pushed in as my sons "D" is like it.
bananaman

Paul Ennis

VOC Member
Hi Peter,
would it be possible to tap the socket in the petrol tap? You could then solder your gauze to a threaded bush and screw it in place.

Just another option.

Paul.

Englishman

Forum User
Non-VOC Member
A-HRD,
Could it be that the new fine mesh you have ,is stainless steel,that would require a different flux. Given the "mass" of the tap body,it does require a big soldering iron to heat the body to the required temperature.
Good luck.
Chris.

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
Peter my handsome, presumably you've made the filter tubes, do as Bob says and clean inside with drill, use Araldite original smeared on both surfaces and slide in, try taking it out in 24 hours !! they won't move just pushed in as my sons "D" is like it.
bananaman

Araldite 2022 claims to be petrol proof. I have used it for exactly this job, glueing the flilter mesh to a fuel tap. Four years later it is still holding up to what is currently sold as petrol in the UK.

Link to Araldite 2022 spec sheet: http://www.intertronics.co.uk/data/ara2022.pdf

Cheers, Simon.

D

Deleted member 1085

I have used some "plastic" filters, about the same size as the metal gauze, which have a threaded end. This can be "screwed" in to the tap which may be tapped. Not done it withe Ewart taps but don't see why it would not work.

A_HRD

VOC Member
Once more a superb resource we have here with so many experienced people willing to give of their knowledge so freely. Thank you one and all for such enlightening and helpful replies.

Best Wishes,

Peter B