Where Are You Now? EJN188

G

Graham Smith

The following was sent in by a non Club Member…

The attached were taken on slides and I scanned them some years ago, not sure I have the originals anymore.

I have cropped some to remove identification for my friend and his little son, who is now in his 50’s! I had forgotten about these, but remembered them when telling my son about some of the bikes I wished I’d kept or could have bought, I’m sure we can all recognise that scenario.

I assume that you know who Mick Ruocco was, the outfit is outside his garage, the wall and green garage doors in picture (b) are my parent’s house at the time (we lived in Edmonton). Picture (a) is me at the age of 19 wondering how an impoverished mechanical engineering student could find the money.

I got to know Mick pretty well and helped him with his new bike shop that he set up in his dad’s place near the Arsenal, it was previously a restaurant. I repaired/ prepared loads of the second hand bikes that he bought for onward sale as a Saturday job. I also inevitably bought a few bikes and cars (including my 1st car, a 1946 Vauxhall 14, not new!) from him over the years.

I don’t know what happened to the special, Mick said it was a George Brown special, but that could have been his sales pitch!

I remember someone bringing a black prince to the shop, probably around 1972, for Mick to buy. He took it straight round to Coburn and Hughes and it went in their window for £1000, my recollection is of Mick saying that was the 1st£1000 Vincent, but I could be wrong.

Next door to Mick’s house (on the high street) was a dentists surgery, can’t remember the name right now, but somewhere I have picture of the Vincent that Mick sold him, it had a distinctive bulge on top of the tank, possibly for extra volume.

Mick was a hell of a character, he had a fantastic signing voice and loved Mario Lanza. The last time I saw him was at his shop in the IOM during, if I recall correctly, the 2013 TT week. Sadly I heard he has since passed away, I have many fond memories and lots of laughs from that time.

I hope someone finds the pictures of interest, it would be interesting to hear if it still exists and what the real history is.

Regards

Dave

Vincent special a.JPG
Vincent special b.JPG
Vincent special c.JPG
Vincent special.JPG