EGLI Motorcycles Workshop to close

vibrac

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that most of the UK small production machines side step all the eco babble by using the SVA route for small machine quantity production and after all its a very small market.

squiggles

Active Forum User
VOC Member
I think that most of the UK small production machines side step all the eco babble by using the SVA route for small machine quantity production and after all its a very small market.
How does the SVA route operate ? Be worth knowing to avoid all the b...s..t

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
The UK SVA - single vehicle approval for motorcycles is now the MSVA - Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval.

Its not for historic vehicles though as a vehicle applying for the MIVA has to be less than 10 years old. I know nothing about the process beyond what is written here:

Speedtwin

VOC Member
Ground up custom builders sometimes use the SVA route, although simple enough it can be a pain in the ass, not so bad here in Gods own country/provence we can take one off builds to our government MOT center for an inspection, they are helpful and will let you know what needs changed or added such as, brakes, lights etc.
Pass this and send docs off walla, V5 issued away you go.
You do inevitably end up with a " Q "plate thats when your problems start,normal run of the mill insurance companies sucking air through their teeth.....
We all thought brexit would sort all this out........

vibrac

VOC Member
It will take a lot more than Brexit to sort insurance Companies out. However apart from many firms being over zealous with the profit motive the inconvenient truth is their premiums can often reflect the real world results. a good example is the premium being now asked for electric cars it has little to do with government propaganda and a lot to do about cars bursting into flame in car parks.
Of course a bad example when I as a current van owner over 70 want to hire a bigger van "sorry we cant insure anyone over 70!" that has a lot to do with ageism and little to do with my capabilities.

bmetcalf

VOC Member
I assume that you can buy insurance for your own car/bike? How often are UK drivers tested (written or driving) to renew their license?

vibrac

VOC Member
I assume that you can buy insurance for your own car/bike? How often are UK drivers tested (written or driving) to renew their license?
Yes personally its not a problem its the hire blanket ban that gets me
Nobody is retested except if demanded after an accident. I think a retest is not a bad idea because down the pipe looms another spectre those of a certain age and over -self driving car only. Still riding a motorcycle sir? self driving motorcycle? sorry we haven't (and never will) build one of those....
Geeze! and I even hate the car to remind me my lights are left on.

highbury731

VOC Member
Lights left on is much less an issue than lights NOT switched on. Cars these days automatically switch some lights on when it's dark, but not the full set. I very often see people driving at night unaware that they have no tail lamps on, no headlamps, or some variation. Problem solved as soon as they manually switch lights on.