G: Gearbox (Single - Burman) Correct tool or method for Burman filler cap removal

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Ok unless your name is Gulliver or you are the real BFG, it's unlikely you'll have a screwdriver in your tool kit that fits the burman gearbox filler cap.

What is the correct tool or method people use to undo and tighten the Burman filler cap, without chewing, marring or otherwise damaging the cap?

Regards

Julian

Generic Beardy

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
A slot profile screwdriver socket. I have various sizes with curves ground into them. Things like triumph sludge trap plugs are enormous fun

bmetcalf

VOC Member
In the US, those are sometimes called drag link tools. An alternative is to grind the end of a cheap or knackered wood chisel to suit.

Michael Vane-Hunt

VOC Member
Screenshot_20240214_054217_Google.jpg

chankly bore

Non-VOC Member
It needs to be about 1/4" wide. If it's not too tight I use a file end-on because it is a good fit. The material of the cap is Mazak, a loose fitting tool will bugger it.

Alyson

VOC Member
I always use the edge of a K1 spanner....
exactly. Gives you more leverage and less chance of slipping out of the slot which will mar the filler cap. Or, something similar. On my /2 BMW Bing carb, I use a reciprocating saw blade to undo the bottom screw. Fits the slot just right. And tough enough to do the job.

weevil.knievel

Forum User
VOC Member
Hi,

Does look like I'm not the only one struggling when looking at this plug, with a few home-brew suggestions on how to undo them from other members! :)

Looks like "drag link" sockets are the nearest thing to the correct tool for this job - but not that popular here in the UK it seems. Can be got from Amazon and Ebay maybe for £15 to £20 per socket which is expensive. Also need to determine the correct size and width version when buying singles.

Maybe a K1 spanner wrapped in a cloth is cheaper :)

Regards,

Julian