Misc: Everything Else Cometic Gaskets

Albervin

Well Known and Active Forum User
VOC Member
The gaskets are made to fit old motorbikes that have varying dimensions. I have never have had to trim the inner edges but I guess some do. If the gasket forms a seal between the two faces, whether it is 30% or 110% then it is a seal. I have two Vincents that can fight it out with any Japanese bike for oil tightness.

Chris.R

VOC Member
I bought a set for the Comet from memory came to £72.00 my son in law used his paypay account as I don`t have one and can`t get one without a smart phone. They work fantastically well for this guy so come recommended. and yes he will price the invoice below the threshold for VAT and import duty just ask.

Perhaps a deal could be done and a batch bought from Paul at one go I would be up for a spare set in that case.

Peter Holmes

VOC Member
When fitting a Cometic gasket to the timing chest cover, does the extra thickness of the gasket, when compared to the standard paper gasket, require thicker ET183 camshaft spindle sealing washers, and if so, do come with the kit, or are thicker washers readily available from other sources.

greg brillus

VOC Member
Whatever gasket you use, no matter how thick/thin or none at all........you should check each seal one at a time, pressing the cover home on its dowels and feel how much outward pressure is there........ideally about 1 mm is plenty........if there is no gap, then there is a good chance the seal wont function, too big a gap will squash the seal too much.........these can fail because of this........result, poor oil feed to the part of the engine that needs it most. Best way to shim them if the gap is not enough is to simply undo that particular nut and put a thin washer under it, or else use a thicker nut if you have any.