F: Frame Comet Wiring Diagram with Lucas Dynamo & Regulator

poor1

Well Known and Active Forum User
Non-VOC Member
Does anyone have a wiring diagram specifically for a Comet which has a Lucas Dynamo and Regulator (FADE terminal type) (Heresy the purist may say).

I could use a wiring diagram for a non Miller system but the Miller switch which is probably a different design.

Negative earth, standard electrics and magneto except for the above, Miller four position switch (looks like there are two OFF positions ??).

Many thanks

Len Matthews

VOC Member
No need to change the Miller switch or the wiring The "A" Terminal
on Lucas regulator connects the ammeter in the same way as the plug would connect to a Miller dynamo. The CH position on the Miller switch has no function.

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Supplementary question:

1953 Comet. Can someone tell me definitivly what size headlamp is used on this machine.

VOC shop lists a 6.5 inch headlamp complete, a 7 inch rim and an 8 inch Miller Replica headlamp complete

Thank you

nkt267

VOC Member
Supplementary question:

1953 Comet. Can someone tell me definitivly what size headlamp is used on this machine.

VOC shop lists a 6.5 inch headlamp complete, a 7 inch rim and an 8 inch Miller Replica headlamp complete

Thank you
You would have to refer to the build list for your bike. Mine specifies a 7" headlamp, otherwise it's usually a 6 1/2".

nkt267

VOC Member
Request it from the machine registrar. I believe that records for most Vincents are available. Simons details are inside the front cover of MPH..John

poor1

Non-VOC Member
Done and had a very comprehensive reply. It seems that Comets supplied to the British market at that time were 6.5 inch but the factory records do not record that specific fact
Many thanks

Simon Dinsdale

VOC Machine Registrar
VOC Member
VOC Forum Moderator
There is a lot of confusion as to 6.5" or 7". When the Vincent works records record the headlight size they always give it as 7" (ignoring the earlier 8"). Now Miller quoted their sizes based on the diameter of the glass lens which for a series C should be 6.5". The factory were supplied complete headlight assemblies and when you measure the O/D of the shell / rim it is 7" and so that is what was recorded even though Miller have it as 6.5".
Most bikes that went to USA were fitted with a 7" sealed beam unit. That needed a special conversion rim so a 7" lens could fit on the standard 6.5 shell. All as clear as the mud at a Lancs & Cheshire lakes rally!!

It gets even more confusing as Velocette fitted headlights which used a 7" diameter glass lens. These headlight shells and rims are larger than what Vincent used.
Simon